- Buccaneers GM Jason Licht told reporters on Monday that they will not consider any in-house options when it comes to selecting their next head coach. (Greg Auman)
- Albert Breer says that the buzz regarding the Buccaneers’ job is that they’re looking to make a name hire and could be preparing to make a run at prying John Harbaugh away from the Ravens.
- Jay Glazer reported on the FOX pregame show that the Buccaneers expressed interest in hiring Michigan HC Jim Harbaugh last year.
Giants QB Eli Manning told reporters after Sunday’s game that he hasn’t thought that he may have played his final game for the team.
“No. You try not to worry about those things,” Manning said, via Pro Football Talk. “Just enjoy the moment and enjoy playing football. Enjoy every aspect. That is always your mindset. Playing in games, enjoy the circumstances and the situations. Enjoy the opportunity to go try and win a game. I think you have to always look at the positives and embrace it because you just don’t know.”
“This is all I know,” Manning added. “I love coming to practice. I love game planning, getting plays that will work and competing. Winning games, celebrating touchdowns, all of that. All of that is fun. The losses hurt, and they are tough to deal with. They are tougher now than in the past because you know your opportunities are running low to make playoffs and championship runs. When you are not doing as well as you want to, it is tough to handle.”
- Giants S Landon Collins said Monday that he’s hoping they can get a long-term agreement in place and avoid him playing under the franchise tag: “Would I play on it? I’ve got no choice. But it’s not a big concern of mine. I know what I’m capable of. Hopefully we work something out before that. If not, franchise it is. I’ve just got to continue proving myself.” (NJ.com)
- Joe Person of The Athletic says that Panthers DE Julius Peppers is expected to retire after the season.
- According to Person, there’s no guarantee LB Thomas Davis will be back in Carolina.
- Person gives S Mike Adams and WR Devin Funchess a 0-percent chance of returning to the Panthers.
- The Panthers would reportedly like to re-sign RT Daryl Williams and move Taylor Moton to left tackle.
- Redskins HC Jay Gruden said Monday that he had no coaching staff changes to announce at this time. (Kareem Copeland)
- Regarding QB Alex Smith’s condition, Gruden said: “We’re obviously hopeful he can turn a corner and start the rehab process and possibly get back on the field. That’s all we can hope for right now.” (Adam Schefter)
- Gruden said of TE Jordan Reed‘s future: “I like Jordan a lot. I think he is an excellent player, he is a difference maker on offense. Tight ends that can win in zone and man coverage are hard to find. …His blocking has improved and is going to continue to get better the stronger that he gets. We just have to get him healthy, but he is a dynamic player, a great athlete, works extremely hard, a great kid, never late and he’s a big part of the success of this football team moving forward in my opinion.” (John Keim)