New Buccaneers DE Shaq Barrett is hoping his bet on himself in the form of a one-year, $5 million deal works out next season.
“Last year I didn’t play as much so I knew I wasn’t going to be getting nothing crazy,” Barrett said, via Pro Football Talk. “Just to prove like my worth is all I wanted to do. I’m going to bet on myself 100 percent of the time. I’m just going to go out there and do my job and let everybody see why I came here, and then hopefully be changing into a multi-year contract. Obviously, I’m just ready, excited. I’m happy they gave me the opportunity, and I’m going to take advantage of it and run with it.”
- According to the Athletic’s Greg Auman, former Buccaneers CB Brent Grimes does not intend to retire and is still open to signing with another team.
- UCF K Matthew Wright will attend the Buccaneers’ local pro day on April 12. (Auman)
- Buccaneers CB Vernon Hargreaves said he’s feeling “100 percent” from his left shoulder surgery in September. (Rick Stroud)
- The Buccaneers are hosting Mississippi State DE Montez Sweat and S Johnathan Abram, LSU LB Devin White and Oklahoma OL Cody Ford. (Wilson)
Falcons WR Julio Jones says he’s not worried about his current contract situation as he and the team work on an extension.
“My agent is in the process of them talking about it,” Jones said via ESPN’s Vaughn McClure. “It hasn’t came to me. I’m good. I’m comfortable with how everybody’s doing it. There’s no pressure on my end and none on their end. If they’re going to get it done, we’ll get it done.”
Jones said he’s not necessarily looking to be the highest-paid wide receiver in the league if it means the Falcons can’t sign other players.
“Me, personally, I don’t really care about as far as being the highest-paid receiver, man,” Jones said. “It’s a number. We’ve got some other guys on the team. If we can do it in a way to get all the other guys to stay on the team … it’s a lot of ways you can do money.”
- Old Dominion DE Tim Ward had dinner with the Saints Sunday night. (Aaron Wilson)
- Boston College WR Jeff Smith has a top-30 visit set up with the Saints. (Greg Auman)
- Washington OT Kaleb McGary will meet privately with the Saints. (Aaron Wilson)
- Texas DL Charles Omenihu will visit with the Saints. (Wilson)
- Valdosta State CB Stephen Denmark has a private workout with the Saints. (Aaron Wilson)
- Houston LB Emeke Egbule will meet with the Saints. (Wilson)