49ers HC Kyle Shanahan confirmed Thursday that they seriously pursued the possibility of re-signing S Eric Reid before he agreed to a deal with the Panthers.
“Oh, yeah, definitely,” Shanahan said, via NBC Bay Area. “E-Reid was definitely someone we were interested in.”
According to Shanahan, the Panthers were in a better position to add Reid than they were.
“I think it was a little easier for the Panthers [to sign Reid] because they had to put a safety on IR,” Shanahan said. “And when you put a safety on IR, there’s a position open, which allows you to pay more money to someone. Our situation right now, our guys are still questionable whether they’re going to play, so there isn’t a spot open.”
- Shanahan said that RB Matt Breida will be a game-time decision on Sunday: “Just to see how he feels on game day. He’s been up and down a little bit this week. He got a little bit more [Thursday]. We kept him limited [Friday] just trying to manage the wear and tear. But questionable is better than doubtful, so hoping it works out.” (Pro Football Talk)
Cardinals GM Steve Keim mentioned during an interview with 98.7 in Arizona that he’s just hoping to see growth from rookie QB Josh Rosen this weekend when he makes his first NFL start.
“Just to see growth,” Keim said, via AzCardinals.com. “We all know with young quarterbacks, there are a number of things that are challenges. Regurgitating the play in the huddle, making sure you have the right tempo, watching the play clock, making sure you can make your motions and adjustments, making sure you know your ‘hots’ and ‘sights.’ All those things a young quarterback has to take into account.”
When asked about RB David Johnson‘s lack of touches this season, Keim said he’s disappointed with the team’s offense as a whole.
“I’m just frustrated in general, number one,” Keim said. “Number two, I’m frustrated with offensive output, because I feel like we have underachieved. Whether it’s David Johnson, whether it’s Larry Fitzgerald, people have to step up. Sometimes it’s a number of different reasons we’re not having that production. … I certainly would like to see David more involved, Chase Edmonds as well. I think the one thing that is exciting is the evolution of Christian Kirk.”
- Rams HC Sean McVay told reporters that OLB Dominique Easley could be sidelined for a while with a knee injury. (Lindsey Thiry)
- McVay said that CB Aqib Talib‘s surgery went well and they still plan on bringing him back from injured reserve later in the season. (Myles Simmons)
- Seahawks HC Pete Carroll confirmed that WR Doug Baldwin will play in Week 4: “He had a great week, he looked terrific.” (Curtis Crabtree)
- Carroll said RB Chris Carson (hip) feels like he can play this weekend, but they’ll wait until game day before making that call. (John Boyle)
- Carroll confirmed reports that they spoke to S Eric Reid before they knew Earl Thomas would return: “We did look into him. We did, seriously. We recognized that he was a really good ballplayer and he was out there and there was a time we didn’t know what was going to happen at the safety spot, so we were talking about it.” (Brady Henderson)
- Carroll mentioned that DL Rasheem Green has “legit” ankle sprain and could be out a few weeks. (Bob Condotta)