- 49ers HC Kyle Shanahan told reporters on Tuesday that he views Jerick McKinnon as being their starting running back. (Gregg Rosenthal)
New Cardinals HC Steve Wilks said Tuesday that RB David Johnson is in the process of being cleared and he should be ready to go for the start of OTAs.
“He’s in the process of getting cleared,” Wilks said, via AzCardinals.com. “By the time we start OTAs, he should be ready to go. Very exciting time. He’ll make a major difference.”
Wilks is hoping Johnson will return to his prior form after missing nearly the entire 2017 season.
“I hope so,” Wilks said. “When you look at the injury and talk about a forearm, he had a year off with his legs, so hopefully he’ll come back fresh. We’re looking forward to it.”
- Wilks made it clear that Sam Bradford will the team’s starting quarterback in short term, but added: “Hopefully, it turns into long term.” If the Cardinals draft a quarterback, Wilks said they would like him to sit and learn. (Tom Pelissero)
Rams HC Sean McVay said Tuesday when asked about their reported interest in Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr, that there’s “no trade we wouldn’t explore or look into if we feel like it can upgrade us as a team.”
“We can’t talk about anybody that’s under contract with any other team, but I think, if there’s one thing you can appreciate about what we’ve done this offseason, there’s no trade we wouldn’t explore or look into if we feel like it can upgrade us as a team,” said McVay, via ESPN.com. “Hypothetically, I think a player of his caliber can kind of really do everything, but like I said, we really don’t get into discussing players that are with other teams, just out of respect for tampering and the things that come with that.”
- Bob Condotta mentions that it sounds like the Seahawks are still hoping CB Byron Maxwell re-signs this offseason and he’s probably one free agent they most want to bring back. (Bob Condotta)
- According to Condotta, Seattle could still sign CB Dontae Johnson and they’re still in the market for some veteran defensive tackles including Bennie Logan or Quinton Dial still signs. (Bob Condotta)
- adds that it sounds like the Seahawks changed negotiating strategy a bit this year and pretty much made an offer and gave free agents a deadline to either take it or leave it. There was no additional negotiating, according to Condotta, as Seattle wanted players who want to be Seahawks, essentially. (Bob Condotta)
- Seahawks HC Pete Carroll said of S Earl Thomas: “He factors in to help any team, they all would love to have him, so there’s some talk that people are trying to maybe come after him, but he’s a fantastic part of our team… He’s got another year on his contract, so we’re excited for the future.” (John Boyle)
- Regarding RB Chris Carson, Carroll said he’s “in beautiful shape” and 100 percent healthy and ready for OTAs. (John Boyle)
- Carroll said there’s still no news regarding Cliff Avril, Kam Chancellor or Malik McDowell. (John Boyle)