- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer writes the Cardinals are unlikely to cut RB David Johnson because his $10.2 million salary for 2020 is already guaranteed. However, they could consider a trade.
- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer writes the 49ers are likely to cut RB Jerick McKinnon to save $4.8 million.
- The Eagles could be a potential trade destination for either 49ers backup QB Nick Mullens or C.J. Beathard given the presence of former QB coach Rich Scangarello. (Matt Barrows)
- 49ers HC Kyle Shanahan wants to see a greater sense of urgency, including in the weight room, from WR Dante Pettis in 2020.
Rams S Eric Weddle went under the knife earlier this offseason for what he said was the first time in his 13-year career to correct a knee injury he played through during the 2019 season. That played a role in Weddle’s eventual decision to retire, which he announced last week.
“I thought, ‘What’s one more year?’” Weddle said via Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer. “I know I can still play, and play at a high level, even with the knee. But thinking about going through a whole season, going through the pain, honestly, it made me sick to my stomach. And I realized if my heart’s not in it, my mind’s not in it, then it’s time to go. I always follow my gut and that’s what I’m feeling right now.”
- Breer says Rams LT Andrew Whitworth is considering testing the open market, as he still was playing at a high level in 2019 despite turning 38.
- According to the Athletic’s Bruce Feldman, the Rams are hiring South Carolina RB coach Thomas Brown to their staff.
- Brown played and coached twice at Georgia, but never overlapped with Rams RB Todd Gurley. However, Feldman says the two are reportedly close.