Cardinals RB D.J. Foster said there is a “different tension” around the team now that Week 1 is upon them.
“It’s always an interesting day,” said Foster, via Katherine Fitzgerald of the Arizona Republic. “But it’s cool to get out there, I think everyone has that mindset, like it’s go time. It’s game week. It’s a different demeanor, a different tension in the air.”
“Just a numbers game. As it is, I think tight end-wise, keeping two was tough,” Kingsbury said. “We feel like with Charles (Clay) and Maxx (Williams), it’s a good combination for us.”
- Kingsbury added that the Cardinals are still trying to figure out their return specialists but wouldn’t rule out second-year WR Christian Kirk: “Talking to Coach (Jeff) Rodgers, we feel like we have a pretty good plan, but we’ll continue through the week and see how it shakes out.”
- According to Aaron Wilson, the Cardinals hosted free-agent RBs Justin Davis and Devontae Jackson for visits on Tuesday.
- Adam Schefter reports that Cardinals’ recently claimed OT Brett Toth, who is a West Point graduate, received clearance from the U.S. Army to play for Arizona.
- According to the Athletic’s Matt Barrows, the 49ers could consider bringing back OT Sam Young, DE Damontre Moore or WR Jordan Matthews if injuries hit at those positions.
- In addition to Jordan Mills, Barrows mentions OT Matt Kalil as an option to upgrade the backup offensive tackle spot.
- Barrows says the 49ers did not put in a claim for Cardinals OT Brett Toth when the Eagles waived him.
- 49ers third-round WR Jalen Hurd has been downgraded from day-to-day to week-to-week with his back injury. (Barrows)
- Jeff Darlington mentions that it was “very important” to the Rams to get an extension done with QB Jared Goff without the “public drama” that has followed other contract negotiations around the NFL.
- Darlington adds that Goff, Rams HC Sean McVay, and members of the team’s front office were all “on the same page.”
- McVay says the team didn’t have any doubts about Goff’s ability to be a franchise quarterback: “We’re very confident in Jared’s ability to make big-time plays in big-time moments. And he’s demonstrated that.” (Vincent Bonsignore)
- McVay added Goff “has a lot more control” as far as audibles and changing the play based on his knowledge of the offense. (Bonsignore)