- According to Adam Caplan, 49ers QB Blaine Gabbert has been the “landslide favorite for weeks” to be the team’s starting quarterback. However, HC Chip Kelly is “trying to be fair” to Colin Kaepernick.
- The 49ers announced that Kaepernickn is going to be inactive for their preseason opener this evening along with WR Eric Rogers, WR DeAndre Smelter, S L.J. McCray, S Eric Reid, DL Glenn Dorsey and DL Arik Armstead.
Broncos former second-round WR Cody Latimer said that playing with Peyton Manning affected his confidence and made him “nervous.” Although, Latimer did say that he’s feeling more confident in year three.
“I was very hesitant,” Latimer said, via the Denver Post. “Was worried about what everybody thought — was Peyton (Manning) going to be mad, was coach going to be mad? I was very nervous out there. Going out here now, especially in my third year, I’m confident in myself.”
- Browns HC Hue Jackson said he plans to hold CB Joe Haden (ankle) out of Thursday’s preseason game against the Falcons. (Nate Ulrich)
- Jackson also said he does not think the team needs to sign another quarterback now that QB Austin Davis is out with a concussion. (Nate Ulrich)
- As for WR Josh Gordon (quad), Jackson said the receiver is getting “very close” to being able to practice. (Scott Petrak)