An NFC scout tells Bucky Brooks of NFL.com that he doesn’t think you can compare Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield to either Russell Wilson or Tyrod Taylor because Mayfield just isn’t as explosive or dynamic.
“The lack of size and athleticism are major issues for me,” said the scout. “You can’t compare him to Russell Wilson or even Tyrod Taylor because he’s not as explosive or as dynamic. … It’s hard for a short quarterback to play in this league unless they’re phenomenal athletes. He has to be able to move around to find passing lanes and I don’t know if he will be able to move enough to succeed in the league.”
While Brooks previously had concerns that Mayfield could be a system quarterback, he now believes the Oklahoma quarterback has put himself in a position to be considered a legitimate QB1 by coaches and scouts.
“After studying the tape from this season, I believe Mayfield has better arm talent than I originally suspected (graded as a B-plus in the summer; A-minus would be my current assessment) and is a more refined passer from the pocket,” Brooks writes. “He’s one of the best “catch-and-fire” tossers in the game, exhibiting a quick release and versatile delivery on rhythm throws. He has an uncanny ability to change ball speed and trajectory to work around pass rushers at the line of scrimmage or defenders in coverage. In addition, he will take a little heat off his throws to make it easier for his running backs and receivers to make plays on the move.”
- The Chicago Bears have officially ruled out OLB Isiah Irving (knee) and have S Adrian Amos (hamstring) listed as doubtful for Week 13.
- The Bears list G Josh Sitton (concussion), S Deon Bush (ankle) S DeAndre Houston-Carson (ankle) CB Cre’von LeBlanc (illness) and CB Bryce Callahan (knee) all as questionable for Sunday’s game against the 49ers.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers officially ruled out six players for Week 13’s game including DE Robert Ayers, S T.J. Ward, CB Vernon Hargreaves, DT Clinton McDonald, RB Doug Martin and S Josh Robinson.
- The Buccaneers also have QB Jameis Winston, OT Leonard Wester, WR DeSean Jackson and TE Cameron Brate both listed as questionable for Sunday.
- The Arizona Cardinals announced Friday that RB Adrian Peterson (neck) is questionable to play against the Rams in Week 13.
- Cardinals HC Bruce Arians said that Peterson is among a “couple” of players that will be game-time decisions. (Josh Weinfuss)
- The Cardinals have also ruled out WR John Brown, LB Deone Bucannon, DL Corey Peters, and S Rudy Ford for Sunday.