“They’re basically fine,” Lewis said, via Katherine Terrell of ESPN. “You try not to play your hand until you have to.”
“Obviously the first-round pick is an asset, and you want to get him involved. We’ve had him all year since he’s been back from Houston and since the surgery, so to keep him invested in the football team. Ced, what he means to the football team. … and then Brandon, he’s been a contributor. So … two of the three guys have contributed and one we’re looking for contributions.”
- Lewis mentioned that DT Brandon Thompson (PUP, knee) will return to practice next week.
- Todd Archer believes Cowboys owner Jerry Jones will do whatever Tony Romo wants him to do if Dak Prescott continues to perform at a high level this season.
- By that, Archer means Jones will likely sit down with Romo and ask him where he would like to go next year and attempt to work out a trade that would make it happen.
- Archer adds that the Cowboys could use the pick or picks they receive for Romo to continue building their defense next year.
- Archer can see the Cowboys attempting to keep Mark Sanchez and Kellen Moore as backup quarterback if they do end up moving on from Romo next year.
Rich Cimini of ESPN takes a look at some veteran players he expects to be back with the team and others he could see them moving on from.
- Cimini expects RB Matt Forte, G James Carpenter and LB David Harris all to be back with the team in 2017.
- As for those who could be gone, Cimini lists: QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, CB Darrelle Revis, LT Ryan Clady, RT Breno Giacomini, TE Kellen Davis, DL Sheldon Richardson and K Nick Folk.
- Some interesting bubble players, according to Cimini, could be C Nick Mangold, WR Brandon Marshall, DT Steve McLendon, CB Buster Skrine and S Marcus Gilchrist.