- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer writes the Broncos made the decision to move on from OC Rich Scangarello because HC Vic Fangio wanted his offense to be more aggressive and there was some staff friction.
- Per USA Today’s Nancy Armour, Chiefs TE Travis Kelce said he’s playing through a slight hamstring injury but it won’t keep him out of the AFC Championship Game: “No, no doubt. No doubt in my mind.”
- Chiefs HC Andy Reid said DT Chris Jones was shut down for Sunday’s game because he couldn’t push off his injured calf. Reid isn’t sure about Jones’ status for this week against the Titans. (Terez Paylor)
- Per ESPN’s Courtney Cronin, Vikings QB Kirk Cousins wasn’t interested in talking about a potential contract extension heading into the final year of his deal in 2020 following Saturday’s playoff loss to the 49ers: “That’s just not my focus right now. My focus is on this game and the playoffs. I certainly love it here and love being a Viking.”
- Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio points out that not only is 2020 the last year under contract for Cousins, it’s also the final year for Vikings HC Mike Zimmer, GM Rick Spielman and RB Dalvin Cook as well.
- Given the way Minnesota’s season ended with a 27-10 loss to San Francisco, Vikings ownership will have a critical decision to make about whether that current core is good enough to get the team to where it wants to go.
- Zimmer said he believes there will be contract extension talks in the near future: “Whatever happens, I’ll be happy with it.” (Andrew Krammer)
- With the Vikings losing OC Kevin Stefanski to the Browns, Ben Goessling mentions that they could look to Gary Kubiak and Klint Kubiak to run their offense.
- In addition to not retaining DC George Edwards, NFL Media’s Tom Pelissero reports Vikings DB coach Jerry Gray will not be back in 2020.
- Edwards, Gray and WR coach Drew Petzing could be in consideration to join the Browns’ coaching staff as assistant coaches who have worked with Stefanski. (Goessling)
- Zimmer said Edwards had just finished the final year of his contract with the Vikings and “it was a situation where it was probably best” to move on. (Chris Tomasson)
- Zimmer added Minnesota will run the same offensive system in 2020 despite losing Stefanski and its pending hire at offensive coordinator will reflect that. (Krammer)
- Vikings DE Everson Griffen recorded eight sacks this season, which triggered a clause in his contract to void his deal if he recorded more than six sacks. However, Griffen isn’t looking to make a change: “I want to be here. I love this team. I love this organization. They took great care of me when I needed it the most. I want to be a Viking. We’ll see what happens.” (Krammer)
- Vikings LB coach Adam Zimmer and DL coach Andre Patterson are in-house options to replace Edwards. (Cronin)
- Mike Zimmer expects CB Mike Hughes to be “good to go” for the Vikings in spring OTA’s. (Tomasson)
- It appears the Vikings will move on from S Jayron Kearse this offseason, as he tweeted: “Wish they appreciated me enough to make me want to come back.” (Tomasson)
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!