- According to Jason La Canfora, the Cardinals have some wiggle room when it comes to QB Carson Palmer‘s new contract next year unless he suffers a serious injury.
- Should Palmer get hurt, the Cardinals would be on the hook for a $15.5 million injury guarantee in 2017.
- La Canfora says that Arizona structured Palmer’s new contract to allow them some flexibility to move on from him if needed.
- Jason La Canfora reports that Dolphins HC Adam Gase continues to maintain a “staunch belief” in Ryan Tannehill both publicly and privately.
- Beyond that, La Canfora says that Gase has no intention of benching Tannehill this season, despite his struggles.
- La Canfora points out should Tannehill suffer an injury, Miami would be stuck paying him $18 million in 2017, due to the injury guarantees included in his contract. Although, as long as Tannehill is healthy, the Dolphins could move on from him without serious ramifications.
- Mike Reiss of ESPN mentions that Patriots RB Dion Lewis is eligible to being practicing this week after missing the first six weeks while on the physically unable to perform list.
- According to Reiss, Lewis has made good progress from a second knee surgery and “it’s possible” he could begin practicing this week.
- Even so, Reiss expects the Patriots to be cautious with Lewis, which means he may not return until after their bye.
- Reiss says that Patriots G Tre’ Jackson‘s (PUP, knee) progress likely contributed to the Patriots’ decision to release guard Jonathan Cooper last week.
- The Patriots gave raises to four practice squad players including RB Bishop Sankey, DE Geneo Grisson, G Chris Barker and DT Anthony Johnson.