- Todd Archer of ESPN reports that Cowboys OL Marcus Martin requires surgery after suffering torn ligaments in his big toe during their Thursday preseason opener.
- Cowboys HC Jason Garrett expects G Marcus Martin (toe) and S Marqueston Huff (groin) to miss 1-2 weeks after suffering injuries in their preseason opener. (Brandon George)
- Regarding Cowboys QB Dak Prescott, Garrett said the team will not hold back Prescott in scrambling from the pocket during the preseason: “No, we don’t tell him that. We tell him to go play.” (Tim Cowlishaw)
- Cowboys WRs coach Sanjay Lal complimented WR Terrance Williams‘ “tenacity” and “toughness” this offseason: “I’m getting to know Terrance and the tenacity and the toughness really stick out to me. He’s really changed his stride pattern and his drive phase.” (Brandon George)
Raiders HC Jon Gruden said second-year CB Gareon Conley (hip) has a “chance” to return to practice on Monday and is “really close” to being fully recovered.
“Gareon’s got a chance to be back with us on the practice field Monday,” said Gruden, via Paul Gutierrez of ESPN. “And close to full go, too. He’s really close. He’s really healed quickly and my prayers have been answered.”
- Veteran free agent CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie said he did not work out for the Raiders this week after reports from last week claimed he was scheduled to meet with them: “[Raiders] just called and asked was I in shape, like a lot of other teams.” (Josina Anderson)
- Gruden said that rookie DE Arden Key is dealing with an ankle sprain, but he anticipates that Key will make his NFL debut next week. (Michael Gehlken)
- Regarding S Obi Melifonwu‘s injury status, Gruden said: “He is still being evaluated. We have a team of evaluators … and they are going to give us all the evaluations.” Gruden did not keep a straight face.” (Vic Tafur)
- Raiders LT Donald Penn is going to work out for coaches on Saturday and the coaching staff will have a better idea of his status soon. (Scott Bair)
- Jordan Schultz reports that despite the loss of rookie RB Derrius Guice for the season, the Redskins have no plans to schedule any visits with free agent running backs at this time.
- Redskins HC Jay Gruden said first-round DT Da’Ron Payne (ankle) practiced on Saturday but was unsure whether the rookie will play in Thursday’s preseason game. (John Keim)
- Gruden said Redskins DT Matt Ioannidis is “week to week” after sustaining ankle and knee sprains, but added that it is possible he returns sooner than expected. (JP Finlay)