Home 49ers NFL Notes: Odell Beckham Jr, Giants, Packers
Odell Beckham Jr
- According to Jason La Canfora, the Giants are having a tough time coming close to the kind of return they would want for WR Odell Beckham Jr and he wouldn’t be surprised if it took until late April for there to be some closure regarding the matter.
- If the Giants end up holding onto Beckham, La Canfora mentions that the Giants could be faced with either having to sign him to an extension along the lines of a $20 million per year contract that’s mostly fully guaranteed or be prepared for a potential holdout.
- In the event the Giants decide to trade him, La Canfora lists the Rams, 49ers, Seahawks, Colts and Browns as the contenders worth watching.
- Other teams that La Canfora says can’t be ruled out include the Jets, Dolphins, Patriots, Titans, Packers, Chargers, Saints and Bills.
- Ralph Vacchiano of SNY.tv reports that teams had already called the Giants about a potential trade for WR Odell Beckham Jr before the recent comments made by owner John Mara.
- A team source says that the first call the Giants received about Beckham actually came shortly after the video surfaced of him in bed with a model and what appeared to be drugs.
- One NFL source made the point that NFL teams almost never create this kind of buzz about a player being available for trade and then follow through on it: “When’s the last time a team made this much noise about possibly trading a player and then actually traded him?“
- Instead, one source tells Vacchiano that he believes all of this is really about “sending a message” to Beckham and his camp that they’re serious about wanting him to clean up his behavior.
- Meanwhile, multiple sources that spoke with Vacchiano said “highly unlikely” the Giants will trade Beckham and while they have taken calls for him, they would need to be “overwhelmed” to actually move him in a deal.
- Rob Demovsky mentions that the Packers were involved in talks with CB Bashaud Breeland before he agreed to a three-year, $24 million contract with Carolina. Unfortunately for Breeland, the deal was voided due to a foot injury.
- Demovsky mentions that the Packers could revisit the possibility of adding Breeland once he’s healthy later this spring.
- We have Breeland featured in our Top 50 Available 2018 NFL Free Agents list.