“I thought it was a great opportunity for me to come to a team that’s really on the rise, with a great young quarterback in Jameis [Winston], just to come and try to provide some of my experiences,” Fitzpatrick said, via Buccaneers.com. “I just met him for the first time today. He seems like a great kid, though, lots of energy. I’m very excited to work with him and I think he’s excited to have me here. We’ll get to work pretty soon. . . .
“I think both sides were excited because there are a lot of good pieces here. I just wanted to be a part of it and I’m happy they have me here. . . . I’m excited to be here, I’m excited to get to work.”
Browns HC Hue Jackson mentioned that newly signed CB Jason McCourty could also get a look at free safety for them.
“He could play nickel, he could play corner, he could play safety,” Jackson said of McCourty, via Pat McManamon of ESPN.
In regards to playing free safety, Jackson said: “I think he’ll get an opportunity to do it once we determine that that’s where he’s needed,”
The Browns plan to move Chris Kirksey from inside linebacker to outside linebacker this summer.
“I played outside in college, so I’m pretty familiar with playing outside,” Kirksey said. “Last year playing inside was a big year for me. I think I took some strides forward. But I’m adapted to any position they want to play me at, so I don’t think I’m too frustrated at thinking about going to outside from inside.”
- Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer reports that veteran LT Michael Oher is not expected to have LT Michael Oher in attendance for the start of OTAs on Tuesday.
- According to Person, Oher’s absence is not only due to the fact that he has yet to clear the concussion protocol, but he is also dealing with “personal matters” that include but aren’t limited to the altercation in which Oher is accused of assaulting an Uber driver.
- Sources have told Person that Oher is also out of shape.
- Jeremy Fowler reports that Steelers WR Martavis Bryant is expected on the practice field for start of OTAs on Tuesday.
- Fowler adds that Bryant has been in the Steelers’ building in recent days.