Rob Demovsky of ESPN reports that the Packers will wrap up on-the-road interviews on Sunday with Matt LaFleur and Adam Gase and are then expected to reconvene Monday to determine who will be brought back for second interviews.
According to Demovsky, Patriots OC Josh McDaniels getting a follow-up interview with the Packers is “very much a possibility.”
The list of reported interviews for the Packers includes:
- Former Colts & Lions HC Jim Caldwell (Interviewed)
- Former Colts HC Chuck Pagano (Interviewed)
- Interim HC Joe Philbin (Interviewed)
- Patriots OC Josh McDaniels (Interviewed)
- Patriots DC Brian Flores (Interviewed)
- Titans OC Matt LaFluer (interviewed)
- Saints OC Pete Carmichael Jr (interviewed)
- Former Dolphins HC Adam Gase (interviewed)
- Saints assistant HC/TEs coach Dan Campbell (interviewed)
- Northwestern HC Pat Fitzgerald (Declined)
- Steelers OL Coach Mike Munchak (Requested)
- Buccaneers OC Todd Monken (Scheduled)
McDaniels has come as a name to watch for Green Bay for a few months now, given that he is one of the top offensive-minded coaches who could be available. Beyond that, McDaniels and Packers GM Brian Gutekunst were both part of the 49ers’ head-coaching search and are familiar with one another.
McDaniels, 42, began his NFL coaching career with the Patriots as a personnel assistant back in 2001. He worked his way up to offensive coordinator in New England before he departed for the Broncos head-coaching job in 2009.
Unfortunately, things didn’t go very well for McDaniels with the Broncos and he was fired during his second year with the team.
After a brief stint with the Rams as their offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, McDaniels returned to the Patriots and has been running their offense ever since.
Flores, 37, began his NFL coaching career with the Patriots back in 2004 as a scouting assistant. He has spent his entire career with New England and held a number of positions including Pro scout, special teams assistant, assistant offense/special teams, defensive assistant, safeties coach and linebackers coach.
The Patriots declined to promote Flores to defensive coordinator after losing Matt Patricia last year, but he served as the team’s de facto coordinator this season.
We’ll have more regarding the Packers as the news is available.