Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area takes a look at 10 veteran players who could be on the roster bubble in the coming days.
- Maiocco’s list includes WR Jeremy Kerley, DT Quinton Dial, QB Matt Barkley, TB Tim Hightower, C Tim Barnes, TE Blake Bell, DT Chris Jones, RB Kapri Bibbs, DE Sen’Derrick Marks and TE Garrett Celek.
- In regards to Kerley, Maiocco writes that while he was the team’s best receiver last year, he isn’t assured a roster spot due to the emergence of some of the team’s younger players including Trent Taylor and Victor Bolden.
- Maiocco says that rookie QB C.J. Beathard appears to have played his way into the backup job this summer, which means Barkley could on the outs in San Francisco.
Bills GM Brandon Beane said Thursday that he feels “good” that QB Tyrod Taylor will be ready for the start of the season.
Although, Beane said they fully expect rookie QB Nathan Peterman to be ready go if Taylor missed the game.
“I feel good about it,” Beane said Thursday on WGR 550’s John Murphy Show. “I’ve seen Tyrod, talked to him. I think from a layman’s perspective, he seems like he’s doing well, and I feel like he, in his mind, is on track and ready to play that Week 1. And if he’s out there, he’s the guy we want. He’s the starter. He’s got a lot of starts in this league, and we’re looking forward to him leading us out. If for some reason he’s unable to do that, then Nathan [Peterman will be ready]. The fortunate part of it is it did happen early in that game. Nathan got a lot of reps with the ones. You can’t replicate that game situation. That’s the one positive that he at least got those that if for some reason Tyrod can’t go or if something happens in the game that Tyrod can’t go.”
“The matter remains under review,” a league spokesman told Slater.
According to Slater, the NFL is in possession of the video of the alleged incident involving Landry and his girlfriend.
Broward County State Attorney’s office is also investigating the incident.
- Josina Anderson reports that Ft. Lauderdale police discussed Landry’s case today including a review of video evidence and met with his girlfriend.
- Anderson adds that there’s hope a decision in Landry’s case could come no later than next week.
- Mike Triplett of ESPN writes that it’s hard to imagine Saints third-year QB Garrett Grayson can do enough in the team’s fourth preseason game to convince them to keep him on their 53-man roster beyond this Saturday’s deadline.
- The Saints have Drew Brees in place as their starter with veteran Chase Daniel as his backup. However, Triplett could still the Saints signing him to their practice squad if he clears waivers.