- Jon Machota of The Athletic does not think it would make sense for the Cowboys to trade for Jaguars CB Jalen Ramsey due to the presence of CBs Byron Jones, Chidobe Awuzie, Anthony Brown and Jourdan Lewis.
- Machota points out that the Cowboys would have a tough time signing Ramsey to an extension after locking up Dak Prescott and Amari Cooper.
- As for Cowboys FS Xavier Woods (ankle) possibly facing a 4-6 week recovery timetable, executive Stephen Jones said the team will continue to evaluate him throughout the week: “We’ll evaluate it as the week goes along. Only the guy upstairs really knows how much time he’s going to miss.”
- Jones said that Cowboys WR Michael Gallup‘s recovery fro arthroscopic knee surgery could be “shorter” than expected: “I think it will be a shorter recovery. This type of procedure can be a real short recovery. Players have done that by just missing a week before. The bottom line is he’ll be back out there soon.”
- According to NJ.com’s Mike Kaye, an Eagles trade for Jaguars CB Jalen Ramsey would make sense on a number of levels. Ramsey has the talent to make the deal worth it and would solidify an Eagles secondary that’s been leaky for the first few games.
- Kaye believes the Eagles’ locker room would be a strong fit for Ramsey, who has a “diva element” to his personality but is also a fierce competitor.
- While Ramsey’s salary will increase to $13.7 million next year and likely much more with an extension following that, Kaye writes Ramsey’s $3.63 million base salary this season would fit and allow the team time to decide if he’s a long-term part of their plans.
- Eagles HC Doug Pederson says WR Alshon Jeffery WR DeSean Jackson, RB Corey Clement and TE Dallas Goedert are all considered day-to-day with injuries. (Zack Rosenblatt)
- Per SNY’s Ralph Vacchiano, Giant HC Pat Shurmur said he just felt it was time for a change at quarterback, going with first-round rookie Daniel Jones over Eli Manning: “It was my gut it was time to make this move. … When you draft a guy sixth overall it was going to happen eventually.”
- Manning acknowledged he saw the move coming to an extent: “I didn’t know how everything was going to shake out this year…you know when you draft a young quarterback there’s always a possibility.” (Giants)
- Manning added he’s moving forward and embracing his new roles as the second-string quarterback: “There’s a lot to be grateful for. I’m going to accept my new role and make the best of it.” (Giants)
- The veteran didn’t say if he would waive his no-trade clause if a potential trade came up: “I’m just taking it day by day and figuring out how to run the scout team.” (Vacchiano)
- Jones told reporters he’s ready to build off of a strong preseason: “I think I certainly feel good about how far I’ve come and my progress since I got here in the spring. We’ll try to make sure we have the best week we can. But yeah, I feel ready.” (Ian Rapoport)