AAF chairman Tom Dundon tells USA Today Sports that Johnny Manziel‘s camp has been in contact with officially for the Alliance of American Football about the possibility of playing in the new league.
According to Durden, the two parties have been in contact over the past 24 hours following his release from the Montreal Alouettes on Wednesday and Manziel has been offered an opportunity to work out for its teams.
However, Dundon said it’s not clear whether Manziel would accept the workout offer.
The San Antonio Commanders own Manziel’s rights, but personnel from all eight AAF teams would be invited to the potential workout, according to Dundon.
“Right now, it’s a decision of the GMs, and they can decide what they want to do,” Dundon said. “If talent-wise this is close, the negative of him is that there is drama with him and you are trying to win games and build a team. The positive is that he brings in fans and attention.”
The Alouettes announced Wednesday that they had released Manziel for an undisclosed violation his contract and he would not be allowed to sign with another CFL team.
Manziel, 26, is a former first-round pick of the Browns back in 2014. He was in the second year of his four-year, $8,247,250 rookie contract when the Browns cut him loose at the start of the 2016 league year.
Manziel received a four-game suspension for violating the NFL’s policy on recreational drug and wound up sitting out the 2016 and 2017 seasons.
The Hamilton Tiger-Cats signed Manziel to a contract last year before trading him to the Alouettes.
In 2018, Manziel completed 106 of 165 pass attempts for 1,290 yards, five touchdowns and seven interceptions for the Alouettes over the course of 11 games.
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!