There were some rumblings this offseason the Bills could move on from DE Trent Murphy. Instead, Buffalo chose to bank on Murphy being a full two years removed from a knee injury that hampered him throughout 2018. So far, so good.
“I’ve told him a few different times as we’ve gone through some drills here in OTAs how different he looks,” Bills DC Leslie Frazier said, via the Buffalo News’s Nick Veronica. “Of course, last year at this time he was coming off the injury and the surgery and really kind of feeling his way. The confidence, the movement, everything looks so much better. We’re hoping that continues as we get farther along, but he’s a different player.”
- ESPN’s Mike Rodak listed Bills RB T.J. Yeldon as a potential veteran cut. Yeldon was operating with the third string during the spring and doesn’t have the special teams proficiency of RB Senorise Perry, who’s also competing for that spot.
- Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports that the Dolphins are “pleased” with how Bobby McCain has converted from cornerback to free safety and are “comfortable” with him at his new position.
- According to Jackson, McCain’s new role will enable him to play in dime packages and give safeties Reshad Jones and T.J. McDonald rest when needed.
- Jackson expects Jones, McDonald, and McCain to play together this season in certain sets.
- Jackson also mentions that the Dolphins are expected to play Minkah Fitzpatrick in “various roles” and will get “considerable work” as a slot cornerback.
- Per Jackson, the Dolphins “would love” to have Eric Rowe earn the outside cornerback role opposite of Xavien Howard.
- ESPN’s Rich Cimini listed Jets RB Elijah McGuire as a potential veteran cut. The Jets brought back RB Bilal Powell this offseason, which Cimini says isn’t a good sign for McGuire.
- The Athletic’s Connor Hughes listed DT Steve McLendon as a potential cut if players like Nathan Shepherd and Folorunso Fatukasi perform well in training camp. Releasing McLendon would save $2 million.
- Hughes mentions Shepherd and Fatukasi as also potentially being on the bubble.
- Hughes says P Lachlan Edwards could also be cut if he loses the competition with Matt Darr.
- If Jets CB Parry Nickerson continues to struggle as a nickel corner during training camp, Hughes believes he could be a potential cut.
- Hughes notes RB Trenton Cannon as a candidate for the practice squad.
- If fourth-round TE Trevon Wesco shows enough during training camp and the start of the season, it likely means the Jets will move on from TE Eric Tomlinson after TE Chris Herndon‘s likely two-game suspension, per Hughes.