Bills WR John Brown earned the nickname “Smokey” for his blazing speed down the field. The veteran wide receiver has a well-earned a reputation as a deep threat, but so far during training camp in Buffalo he’s showing off more dimensions to his skillset.
“He’s got that name for going deep and getting deep balls. (But) I think as he’s gotten older he’s really learned to run some routes,” Bills QB Josh Allen said via Matt Parrino of New York Up State. “We are going to continue to work on those and implement those in our offense. He’s a special guy. He comes in every day wanting to work and wanting to get better. He’s very talkative on what he sees, how he wants the ball a certain way and very communicative on how he is going to run a route and how many steps.”
- Bills DC Leslie Frazier said CB Levi Wallace “solidified” his starting spot at cornerback across from Tre’Davious White last season: “He’s the starter, whether there’s guys gaining on him or not.” (Marcel Louis-Jacques)
- Bills C Russell Bodine took reps at right guard as he looks to improve his versatility and his chances of making the team. (Joe Buscaglia)
Dolphins HC Brian Flores said it was a tough decision but that moving on from OL coach Pat Flaherty now was the right move rather than hoping for a magical improvement over the course of the season.
“We felt like we needed to make that move. I felt that way,” via the Miami Herald’s Adam Beasley. “I think I’m always going to do what’s in the best interests of the Miami Dolphins. … The easy decision would have been to do nothing and hope it gets better.”
- Flores added there were a number of factors that went into the move: “From a communication standpoint, from a fit standpoint. As a team we felt like we need to make the move.” (Beasley)
- Flores made the final decision to fire Flaherty on Monday, though he had been considering it for some time. (Beasley)
- Flores says he’s fully confident in Flaherty’s replacement, former Colts OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo: “I think we’ve got a very good staff. I think the players respond to the players on the staff. I think Dave’s going to do a great job. I don’t think we’ll miss a beat, to be honest.” (Beasley)
- DeGuglielmo wasn’t initially available when Flores was hiring his staff, as he was let go by the Colts in January. (Joe Schad)
- Following the coaching staff change, Jesse Davis moved from right guard to right tackle. Will Holden replaced Davis at right guard and third-round G Michael Deiter replaced Chris Reed at left guard. (Armando Salguero)
- On Sunday, Flaherty told reporters the rookie Deiter was “a long ways away.” Deiter moved into the starting lineup a day after Flaherty was fired. (Beasley)
- The Jets announced WR Jamison Crowder has been medically cleared and will practice Wednesday. Crowder injured his foot on Monday and left practice. His MRI came back negative.
- Jets signed OL Ryan Anderson and CB Dee Delaney. (NFLTR)
- Jets waived LB Jeff Allison and OL Toa Lobendahn.