Short accuracy isn’t usually one of the first attributes brought up about Bills QB Josh Allen unless it’s a critique. The former top-ten pick is known for his mobility, cannon-arm and attitude of never quitting on a play. As he heads into his second season, though, Allen says he’s focusing more on being accurate with short throws and being willing to take what the defense is giving.
“I would say it’s being OK with the two- or three-yard passes,” Allen said via Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer. “And with the guy like Cole (Beasley), with the backs and the tight ends that we’ve got, just being more decisive with the football, if my first or second option’s not there, instead of looking to escape and extend the play and find someone downfield, just get my eyes to our back or our tight end or to Cole. Get the ball out quick and let them make plays. Maybe it’s 2-3 yards, and if they make one or two guys miss, it could turn into 15, could turn into 20. So I think that’s where we’re gonna see a step in the right direction.”
- Bills OT Ty Nsekhe and C Mitch Morse practiced on Monday, while G Quinton Spain was held out. (Joe Buscaglia)
- Morse, however, remains in the concussion protocol despite working in 11-on-11 team drills. (Buscaglia)
- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer writes that trade rumors for Dolphins OT Laremy Tunsil were more in the “maybe for two first-rounders” vein than any serious negotiations.
- Breer adds LB Kiko Alonso and S Reshad Jones seem like players who could be available for the right price even if Miami isn’t actively shopping them, as their timelines might not match up with the organization.
- The only players Breer would maybe rule out a trade for are Tunsil, CB Xavien Howard and either QB Ryan Fitzpatrick or Josh Rosen.
- After cutting S T.J. McDonald, the Dolphins added $4.6 million to their dead cap in 2019, per Armando Salguero. Miami is carrying over $37 million in dead cap this year.
- According to Adam Beasley, Dolphins HC Brian Flores believes cutting McDonald made the Dolphins better: “We felt like in this situation, that was the case.”
- Flores added McDonald wasn’t a fit for the Dolphins, though he clarified it would be inaccurate to say McDonald didn’t fit the scheme. (Joe Schad)
- Dolphins RB Kenyan Drake returned to practice. (Schad)
- Dolphins LB Raekwon McMillan is still working his way back from injury, per Flores: “We’re getting close. But it’s not from lack of work. He’s in there as long as a lot of our coaches.” (Beasley)
- Dolphins WR Albert Wilson has been fully cleared from his hip injury and says he’s ready for Week 1. (Barry Jackson)
- Dolphins WR Jakeem Grant‘s four-year extension includes $4.3 million in total incentives and $7.5 million guaranteed, including $3.72 million fully guaranteed. (Adam Caplan)
- Grant received a $3 million signing bonus. Miami can also release Grant with no further guarantees besides ones for injury by the fifth day of the 2020 league year. (Jackson)
- The Athletic’s Connor Hughes writes that while the secondary as a whole will be an issue for the Jets this year, nickel corner Brian Poole looks like he’ll be solid and an upgrade over last year.
- Hughes believes there’s a growing chance third-round DE Jachai Polite doesn’t make the final roster.
- Polite hasn’t been overly impressive and the current staff didn’t draft him. He also would be the fifth outside linebacker on the roster.
- Meanwhile, Hughes says RB Trenton Cannon locked up a spot on the final roster with his performance on offense, as he’s already a key special teamer.
- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer says the Patriots are high on fourth-round QB Jarrett Stidham and the rookie could push veteran backup Brian Hoyer out the door.
- Patriots WR Demaryius Thomas says as far as he knows New England was the only team to show any interest in him this offseason, per ESPN’s Mike Reiss.
- Thomas says he can still be a contributor for an NFL team: “I can still go. (Just have to) knock little rust off and keep building the days.” (Kevin Duffy)
- Thomas acknowledged he was facing the challenge of adjusting to the Patriots’ system as a wide receiver: “I think it’s a challenge of me just going out and continuing to do what I’ve been doing my whole career. It’s a tougher challenge because here, they expect more and it’s a little different than where I’ve been, but I’ll be all right.”
- The Associated Press reports that Patriots S Patrick Chung waived a court appearance on the charge by pleading not guilty through a lawyer. He now has another court appearance scheduled for November 8.