- Bills HC Sean McDermott announced Friday that rookie RB Devin Singletary is out for Sunday’s game.
- Bills TE Tyler Kroft, who injured his ankle in practice Thursday, is not playing this weekend. Kroft is reportedly dealing with a low-ankle sprain and has a chance to make his season debut next week. (Ian Rapoport)
- The Bills officially ruled out CB Taron Johnson (hamstring), TE Tyler Kroft (foot, ankle), and RB Devin Singletary (hamstring) for Week 3’s game and list LB Corey Thompson (ankle) as questionable.
Dolphins HC Brian Flores explained the decision to bench Ryan Fitzpatrick for Josh Rosen this week.
“We liked where Josh was,” Flores said Friday, via the Miami Herald. “He had two good days of practice. We decided to make the move. He had a good practice yesterday. It wasn’t just the two practices, he had been practicing well up to this point. We felt like that was the right move for the team.
“He made some good throws. He had good practices. I think he maybe saw an opportunity and jumped at it, practiced really well. … His development is very important to me. I never wanted to throw him in there too quickly, but I do think he’s ready. He’s shown me that he’s ready to go.”
As for Fitzpatrick, Flores said he wasn’t happy with the decision, but he’s been impressed with how the veteran quarterback has handled the situation.
“Ryan was disappointed [about losing his starting job],” Flores said. “He’s a competitor. He wants to play. The way he’s handled this has been impressive. He’s grabbed Josh, got him on the whiteboard, [asked him]. what do you think of this and that. Talking him through protections and QB processes. That’s been really encouraging.
“It’s a tough situation. A lot of guys would be angry. Here’s a guy who’s so selfless and his willingness to put the team first – I’m really impressed by that.”
- Field Yates reports that the Dolphins were the only team to place a waiver claim for DE Taco Charlton on Thursday. Charlton was owed $3 million over the next two years, so it appears as though the other 30 teams felt this was too much to pay for a disappointing first-round pick.
The Dolphins officially ruled out S Reshad Jones (ankle) and WR Albert Wilson (hip, calf) for Week 3’s game and list DE Charles Harris (wrist), LB Trent Harris (foot) and S Bobby McCain (shoulder) as questionable.
- Jets CB Brian Poole injured his groin at practice on Thursday and did not finish the session. He will be limited in practice. (Brian Costello)
The Jets officially ruled out QB Sam Darnold (illness) and LB Jordan Jenkins (calf)) for Week 3’s game and list LB C.J. Mosley (groin), WR Demaryius Thomas (hamstring, knee), and DT Quinnen Williams (ankle) as doubtful.
The Jets also have T Kelvin Beachum (ankle), WR Josh Bellamy (shoulder), RB Trenton Cannon (ankle, hamstring), DT Steve McLendon (hip), S Rontez Miles (hip), G Kelechi Osemele (knee), CB Brian Poole (groin), and G Brian Winters (shoulder) all down as questionable.
Patriots WR Josh Gordon credited his offseason work with Tom Brady for their fast start this year.
“Talking with Tom (Brady), working with him in the offseason. I ran the routes that I knew were already in the playbook, and I had old plays still around the house that I was able to look at and study,” Gordon said, via MassLive.com. “Just watching and learning.”
“I got extra time in the offseason to study what I already knew. And when I got in here, I was able to kind of pick it up where I left off — even better, I would say. So it’s pretty smooth right now.”
- Patriots OL coach Dante Scarnechhia indicated that Marshall Newhouse will remain the team’s left tackle this week, as they apparently don’t want to disrupt any more spots on their line. (Michael Giardi)
- Patriots FB James Develin is dealing with an upper back and neck injury that will likely keep him out Sunday against the Jets, but he’s considered week-to-week. (Jeff Howe)
The Patriots officially ruled out FB James Develin (neck) for Week 3’s game and list LB Shilique Calhoun (not injury related), T Marcus Cannon (shoulder), TE Ryan Izzo (calf), and TE Matt LaCosse (ankle) as questionable.
- Patriots released WR Antonio Brown. (NFLTR)
- Patriots signed LB Scooby Wright to their practice squad. (NFLTR)
- Patriots released DE Gerri Green from their practice squad.