Bills GM Brandon Beane called recently hired DL coach Eric Washington “one of the best” coaches he’s been around and a great fit for their defensive system.
“He’s one of the best D-Line coaches I’ve been around. He’ll bring a toughness and an edge. A big-time leader. He fits what Sean and I are trying to do, and I think he’s going to be a big asset for coach Frazier,” said Beane, via Sal Capaccio.
- Anthony Treash of Pro Football Focus lists Jaguars DE Yannick Ngakoue as a potential free-agent target for the Bills.
- Anthony Treash of Pro Football Focus lists Saints CB Eli Apple as a potential free-agent target for the Dolphins.
- Anthony Treash of Pro Football Focus lists Colts OT Anthony Castonzo as a potential free-agent target for the Jets.
Patriots veteran WR Matthew Slater has carved out a long NFL career as essentially an exclusive special teams player. After mulling retirement after New England’s wildcard loss, Slater says he’s elected to come back for another season in 2020. Whether that’s with the Patriots remains to be seen, as Slater isn’t under contract next season.
“I definitely feel like my family and I thought about it a lot,” Slater said via the Athletic’s Jeff Howe. “I still love to play and want to continue to play. I guess as of now, I want to keep playing. We just have to see how things go from here. There are a lot of things up in the air that I don’t know, but I’m going to approach it as though I’m preparing to play next year. We’ll kind of go from there. That’s where we’re at.”
- According to Pro Football Network’s Tony Pauline, Patriots scouts were gushing over SMU WR James Proche at Senior Bowl practices.
- Anthony Treash of Pro Football Focus lists Cowboys WR Amari Cooper as a potential free-agent target for the Patriots.
- Patriots S Devin McCourty‘s agent reiterated his client is looking to play in 2020: “He wants to play. Retirement is not an option.” (Mike Reiss)
- Patriots owner Robert Kraft says “we plan to” keep QB Tom Brady in 2020. (TMZ)