- Barry Jackson reports that nothing materialized between the Dolphins and free agent CB Bashaud Breeland during their recent visit.
Armando Salguero confirms that Breeland’s free agent visit with the Dolphins came and went with no contract being signed. According to Salguero, it’s unlikely the Dolphins will sign Breeland at any point because he is apparently not ready to compete now.
- Omar Kelly says that the Dolphins are “actively and aggressively shopping for a starting cornerback because they don’t like what they’ve seen from everyone not named Xavien Howard and Bobby McCain.”
- Eliot Shorr-Parks writes that the Eagles could consider trading CB Ronald Darby to the Dolphins, who happen to be in need of a starting cornerback.
- Jets WR Terrelle Pryor told reporters on Monday that he actually broke his ankle back in May and while he’s practicing, it’s unlikely he’ll play this week. (Rich Cimini)
- Albert Breer would be surprised if rookie QB Sam Darnold is not starting for the Jets in Week 1 against the Lions. According to Breer, there’s a better than 50/50 chance of Darnold starting to open the season.
- Manish Mehta asked Josh McCown if he would want to be traded if he isn’t the Week 1 starter: “Oh no, I love being a part of the Jets. I just want to see this team do well & see the QB room do well…But those things are out of your control. love being a part of this group. I want to help this team succeed.“
- Ian Rapoport reports that Jets OLB Lorenzo Mauldin is out another week with a hamstring injury and will end up missing the first two preseason games.
New Patriots WR Eric Decker has dropped a team-high six passes over the team’s last three practices.
“I mean, there’s no excuses for it,” Decker said Monday, via NESN.com. “It’s something I’ve obviously got to address, and that’s something you work through. In my mind, that’s why God created practice. It’s just to be able to get better and try to flush that out. But my job is to catch the football, so I’ve got to do better in that field.”