- Barry Jackson reports that another veteran Dolphins player has indicated he would like a trade, but when he asked the player this week, it was made clear the player would not admit to it.
- Jackson says the unknown Dolphins’ player is not CB Xavien Howard, but it’s still unclear if Miami will trade him.
According to Salguero, there have been whispers Jones was not happy with his limited playing time in Sunday’s game. Although a source close to the situation tells Salguero that Jones had not asked to be traded or shopped as Fitzpatrick has.
It would be very difficult for the Dolphins to find a trade partner for Jones, given his outsized contract.
- On Friday, Dolphins HC Brian Flores said Fitzpatrick is a big part of the game plan: “Done a good job all week.” (Armando Salguero)
- Flores declined to say he believes Fitzpatrick will be here all season, but mentioned that he doesn’t think anything needs to be repaired. Flores added that he doesn’t think things are broken between the Dolphins and Fitzpatrick. (Joe Schad)
- Fitzpatrick said he won’t discuss his trade request and wouldn’t confirm it: “It’s a little frustration, but I have to shift my focus to what’s important. I can’t focus on the trade talks and everything else like that. I have to focus on the Patriots, my teammates, my coaches, and this week’s game plan.” (Safid Deen)
- A source tells Benjamin Allbright that the Dolphins are asking for a first-round pick in a trade for Fitzpatrick but “will likely settle for a second.”
New Jets WR Demaryius Thomas admitted that he’s older, but believes he “still got it.”
“I’m a little older,” Thomas said, via the New York Post “but I still got it.”
As for getting up to speed on the Jets’ offense, Thomas mentioned that his prior experience with Gase will obviously help quite a bit.
“It’s easy,” Thomas said. “I played in the offense about five years, so some of the stuff I’ve been seeing, I kind of remember it. It’s coming back quick.”
- Jets HC Adam Gase told reporters on Friday that QB Sam Darnold (mono) is not a candidate to be placed on injured reserve, which means this will be less than an eight-week absence. (Connor Hughes)
- Regarding RB Le’Veon Bell‘s shoulder issue, Gase said that Bell was a little too aggressive at practice on Wednesday, which prompted the MRI. (Manish Mehta)
- Jets QB Trevor Siemian seems confident he’ll be able to fill in for Darnold while he’s out: “I’ve been there and done it a little bit. It’s been a while . . . I’m champing at the bit to compete and be out there with the guys. I’ll just say I feel comfortable.” (Pro Football Talk)
- When asked if Antonio Brown will play Sunday, Patriots HC Bill Belichick said: “We’ll do what’s best for the team.” (Doug Kyed)
- Belichick added that Brown still has a “long way to go” and noted that there are few similarities between the systems Brown has played in while with the Steelers and Raiders in comparison to the Patriots’ scheme. (Nora Princiotti)
- According to Dan Graziano, Brown’s contract with the Patriots includes a $9 million sign bonus that will pay him $5 million now and the remaining $4 million on January 15.
- Brown will make a base salary of $1.0625 million with $500,000 in 2019 per-game roster bonuses ($33.333K per game on 46-man)
- New England has a $20 million team option on Brown in 2020, which includes $10 million guaranteed if exercised. The deal also includes a written promise not to use the franchise or transition tag on him.
- The Patriots are paying S Obi Melifonwu a $645,000 base salary ($37,941 per week) while on their practice squad, which is what he would have earned on the roster. (Mike Reiss)