Dolphins HC Brian Flores mentioned that there is “competition at every position” and hopes that brings the best out of their players.
“Left tackle, right tackle, left guard, right guard — every position there’s competition,” Flores insisted. “I think we can’t push our players to that next level if they don’t feel competition. That’s just my opinion on competition. I think there’s competition at every position, and if the guys don’t feel that way then we’re going to try to make them feel that way, one way or another”
Regarding where Dolphins DB Minkah Fitzpatrick will line up, Flores said the team plans on using Fitzpatrick “all over the place.”
“He’ll be all over the place,” Flores said. “I think in all those different roles, I think he’s done an OK job kind of learning all of those positions. Again, this is a work in progress for everyone, not just Minkah. We’re asking a lot of guys to do a lot. He kind of falls into that. I think he’s working and he’s getting better and he’s improving. We still have a long ways to go.”
- 2019 Base salary ($1M), Incentives ($1M), Workout bonus ($500K), Per-game bonus ($500K).
- 2020 Base salary ($3.3M), Incentives ($2.5M), Workout bonus ($300K), Pro Bowl ($250K), Per-game bonus ($900K).
- 2021 Base salary ($2.8M), Incentives ($2.5M), Workout bonus ($300K), Pro Bowl ($250K), Per-game bonus ($900K).
- Edelman received an $8 million signing bonus from the team.
- Ben Volin points out that Patriots DB Brandon King‘s three-year extension is worth up to $4.875 million through possible incentives. Should King reach his contract escalators, his 2019 salary will increase from $1.175 million to $1.975 million, while his cap number jumps from $1.359 million to $1.626 million.
- Patriots LB Jamie Collins’ one-year, $2 million deal includes a base salary of $900,000, $250,000 guaranteed, a $150,000 signing bonus, a per game bonus of $53,125, and a $100,000 workout bonus. (Nick Underhill)
- Underhill also points out that Collins can “likely” earn a $1 million playing time bonus, while his $2 million bonus for playing time, reaching the Pro Bowl, and being elected First-team All-Pro will be harder to achieve.