- According to ESPN’s Ben Baby, Bengals HC Zac Taylor says rookie sixth-round RB Trayveon Williams will likely miss the rests of the preseason with a foot injury.
While several other regular starters played for the Browns in their second preseason game against the Colts, both DE Myles Garrett and CB Denzel Ward watched from the sidelines. Browns HC Freddie Kitchens said neither had serious injuries and the team was just being cautious since it’s the preseason.
“It’s just if they’re a little bit banged up, I’m going to make sure they’re fine,” Kitchens said via Cleveland.com’s Mary Kay Cabot. “If we’d have played a [regular-season] game today, he would’ve been out there.”
- Per Scott Petrak, Kitchens says the team is comfortable at running back despite both Dontrell Hilliard and Kareem Hunt missing time due to injury.
- Kitchens said they could look at kicker, however. Both Greg Joseph and fifth-round rookie Austin Seibert missed field goals during the Browns’ Week 2 preseason game. Kitchens said penalties were a factor in extending both kicks, but he still expects the kicks to be made: “We need somebody that can put the ball between the two yellow poles.” (Mary Kay Cabot)
- The Browns have been impressed with sixth-round G Drew Forbes and he could start at right guard per Kitchens: ”He’s getting better. He’s getting more comfortable. He’s in the mix and we’ll see where it goes.”
- 2018 second-round G Austin Corbett is still in the mix at right guard according to Kitchens, but he’s also working at backup center: “If you ever have somebody that can play all three (positions), you are kind of ahead of the game. You have to have somebody that can back up your center, and then if he goes into the game, you need a third guy that can snap. You need to have backups for the other four spots.”
- With the injury to Tavon Young, Ravens DC Don Martindale says CB Cyrus Jones is the team’s top option at nickel corner, though others could rotate into the spot, per the Athletic’s Jeff Zrebiec.
- Jones has been trending up from the roster bubble for his strong work as a return man.