Home Bengals AFC Notes: Bengals, Colts, Jaguars, Jets & Raiders
- Mike DiRocco of ESPN writes there is a level of “concern” from the Jaguars about their limited talent at safety.
- According to DiRocco, there are no players with lingering injury concerns outside of DT Sen’Derrick Marks (ACL), OLB Dante Fowler Jr. (ACL), and S James Sample (broken arm).
- DiRocco has seen progress in the throwing mechanics of QB Blake Bortles, in that he has “shortened” his delivery and is “lengthening” his follow through.
- According to DiRocco, RB Storm Johnson has been passed on the depth chart by both Bernard Pierce and Corey Grant.
- DiRocco does not expect Bortles to get over exposure during the preseason, but will receive the normal amount of playing time for a starter.
- WR Arrelious Benn has “more of a chance” to make the active roster than DiRocco previously envision. However, DiRocco prefers WR Tony Washington, due to his performance during OTAs and minicamp.
- Rich Cimini of ESPN believes that if QB Geno Smith can cut down on his turnovers, like Alex Smith for example, that the Jets could make the playoffs.
- According to Cimini, the franchise tag and the presence of rookie Leonard Williams, gives the Jets have the leverage in contract discussion with Muhammad Wilkerson.
- Cimini believes that Wilkerson’s contract will be the “starting point” for extension negotiations for DT Sheldon Richardson.
- Cimini does not think the Jets will target OLB Bruce Irvin if he becomes available, due to the presence of third-round rookie DE Lorenzo Mauldin.
- Second-year S Rontez Miles is not expected to start at any point this season, though he is “gaining” momentum.
- Bill Williamson of ESPN writes that WR Amari Cooper dropped some passes during minicamp, but there is no concern over it becoming an issue.
- Second-round rookie DE Mario Edwards is a candidate to start “right away“.
- According to Williamson, third-round rookie TE Clive Walford has been “outstanding” this offseason, and could potentially start over TE Mychal Rivera.