Bills DT Kyle Williams explained that he really didn’t want to leave Buffalo, even to pursue an opportunity to compete for a championship.
“When it comes down to it, I haven’t really exhausted myself in the pursuit of my dream: That’s being a champion,” said Williams, via Alex Marvez of SportingNews.com. “Obviously I love being a Buffalo Bill and wearing those colors every Sunday. I’ve done it for so long. The place means so much to me. I don’t want to do it anywhere else.”
- Browns HC Hue Jackson announced that Tyrod Taylor is going to be the starting quarterback for them in 2018: “He’s going to be the starting quarterback. There is no competition.” (Ian Rapoport)
- Browns GM John Dorsey said they traded CB Jason McCourty because he “wasn’t sure” if the veteran would make the roster and wanted to give McCourty a chance to join another team. (Pat McManamon)
- According to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, the Dolphins decided to move on from Jarvis Landry because they did not want to meet his $15 million asking price with at least $50 million guaranteed and feel that Albert Wilson and Danny Amendola adequately replace him.
- Jackson adds that the team will have a different approach to the receiving corps in 2018 and won’t have run so much of their offense through one player.
- The Miami Dolphins announced Wednesday they have tendered the following exclusive rights free agents: C Jake Brendel, LB Mike Hull, and DB Jordan Lucas.
Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News tells Pro Football Talk that the Jets offered Kirk Cousins over $30 million per year, but gave his agent, Mike McCartney, until Tuesday to decide on the offer so they could pursue other free agents if need be.
“There are some folks on One Jets Drive who believe this was all designed to get McCown back as the Jets starter (for now),” Mehta says. “Perhaps that’s sour grapes, but it is a real sentiment in the building.”
- Manish Mehta says it’s his understanding is that the Jets would have interest in free agent S Tyrann Mathieu at the right price, but they have other priorities at the moment.
- Ben Volin reports that the Jets were close to signing RB Jerrick McKinnon before he received a “big offer” from the 49ers.
- According to Manish Mehta, the Jets were one of the two final teams in the bidding for DE Kareem Martin before he agreed to a three-year, $21M deal with the Giants.