For the second straight week, the Bills turned in a prime-time dud performance in a highly-touted matchup, falling to the Chiefs 26-17 a week after mustering just 16 points against the Titans. And once again, Bills QB Josh Allen was partially at fault, as he played more like the scattershot quarterback he’s been his first two seasons than the MVP-caliber level of play he showed in the season’s first four games. Allen completed just 14 of 27 pass attempts for 122 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.
“We weren’t good enough,” Allen said via Jourdon LaBarber and Dante Lasting of the team’s official site. “I was not good enough. I got to do a better job. It’s plain and simple. I didn’t play very good tonight. I know that, understand that. This team can’t afford to have me play poorly. Early on, just not being as accurate with the ball as I should have been, making the right reads, making the right throws. We turned it on a little too late there, obviously.”
- ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler and Dan Graziano list Bills assistant GM Joe Schoen as a potential GM candidate this offseason.
- Bills OC Brian Daboll and DC Leslie Frazier are also expected to draw interest as potential head coaching candidates.
“Jordan’s a competitor,” Flores said, via Adam Beasley of The Miami Herald. “He’s a competitive guy who wants to be out there. That’s why he’s here. We’ve got to make decisions, they’re hard decisions. We can only have 48 guys active. We just try to make decisions that are the best for our team. Each guy that’s made inactive, I know they all want to be out there. If they didn’t there’s something wrong. It’s a tough part of this. We need everyone on this team. Everyone’s important. I’ve been in many years where someone was inactive and becomes active later in the year and plays well. Everyone’s got to be ready. Jordan will be ready. He’s always ready. We’ll see what the game plan is for the Rams and make our decision once that time draws near.”
- Flores said of his decision to play rookie QB Tua Tagovailoa at the end of their game against the Jets: “Just a situation to get him in, get him some snaps. Thought it was good for him, for any young player, to get a feel for what it’s like to be in an NFL game. That’s really it.”
- ESPN’s Cameron Wolfe says his understanding is Dolphins QB Ryan Fitzpatrick did nothing to lose the job to Tagovailoa. Miami just felt the rookie was ready and the bye week was a good time to make the transition.
- ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler and Dan Graziano write that it doesn’t appear that Jets HC Adam Gase‘s job is viewed internally as a week-to-week thing, meaning he could last longer than many expect.
- Gase on relinquishing control over playcalling duties: “I’ve got a couple of other things I have to really sort through offensively before we make any kind of decisions whatsoever on stuff like that. That’s like step 10 right now and we’re on Step 2.” (Rich Cimini)
- Jets placed OLB Frankie Luvu on injured reserve. (NFLTR)
- ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler and Dan Graziano mention Patriots executive Nick Caserio‘s new contract allows him to leave whenever he wants after New England blocked a potential job with the Texans last offseason.