- Bills HC Sean McDermott announced that S Micah Hyde is out of the concussion protocol. (Marcel Louis-Jacques)
- McDermott didn’t rule out new LB Darron Lee being promoted to the active roster for Sunday’s game: “Not out of the realm of possibility at this point. It is a short run up, so we’ll just have to see how today goes & tomorrow as well.” (Chris Brown)
- OUT for Week 9: RB Taiwan Jones (hamstring), LB Matt Milano (pectoral), C Mitch Morse (concussion), CB Josh Norman (hamstring), RB T.J. Yeldon (back)
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 9: DT Vernon Butler (groin), T Cody Ford (knee), DE Darryl Johnson (knee), TE Dawson Knox (calf)
Alabama HC Nick Saban believes that rookie QB Tua Tagovailoa was ready to take over for veteran QB Ryan Fitzpatrick in Miami, as he had a very similar situation at Alabama with QB Jalen Hurts who is now with the Eagles.
“His whole freshman year, he sat behind Jalen Hurts, and eventually, in the championship game, replaced him, and then the next year he played the whole year and Jalen Hurts sat behind him,” Saban said, via Albert Breer of SI. “So during that experience, he probably learned the value of supporting your teammates, having a good relationship with them, learning from their experience. And then when you become the guy, continuing to support them. It’s the exact same situation he had here for two years.”
- The Miami Dolphins are bringing in LS Rex Sunahara for a visit this week, according to Aaron Wilson.
- Albert Breer of SI believes that if the Dolphins were faced with the choice between Tagovailoa or Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence, they would likely go with Lawrence and attempt to deal Tagovailoa to another franchise.
- OUT for Week 9: RB Matt Breida (hamstring)
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 9: CB Jamal Perry (foot)
- Jets QB Sam Darnold said when asked if he expects to play against the Patriots on Monday: “Yeah. We’ll see. Right now, I just think taking it day-by-day is the best thing to do.” (Manish Mehta)
- Jets’ DB coach Dennard Wilson says the team moved S Marcus Maye back to free safety from strong safety “for his betterment long term” and added that Maye is “an eraser” at free safety. (Rich Cimini)
- Maye began the season replacing S Jamal Adams at strong safety, but his play dropped off after the season opener. Maye was involved in trade rumors near the deadline and is set to become a free agent in 2021.
- Albert Breer of SI thinks that while QB Sam Darnold still has potential and trade value, the team would certainly select QB Trevor Lawrence first overall if they landed in that spot in the draft.
- Jets WR Vyncint Smith suffered a groin injury yesterday and WR Breshad Perriman is in the final stages of the concussion protocol. (Rich Cimini)
Jets’ HC Adam Gase had good things to say about WR Isaiah Ford who has been traded from Miami to the Patriots.
“He’s a very competitive kid, really good route runner,” Gase said, via Doug Kyed of NESN.com. “Has the flexibility to play both inside and outside, extremely smart. I think that’s a good player for them to get. He competes. I always loved being around him. The couple of years we were together, things were going good for him. He had a couple of injuries early in his career. In the last couple of years, he’s stayed healthy, for the most part. Was able to get some more playing time. It’s good to see him having some success down there. New opportunity for him. I’m sure they will use him however they think best and he’ll be productive.”
- Mike Reiss reports that the Patriots are scheduled to host free-agent TE Dylan Cantrell for COVID-19 testing and an eventual workout.