- Dolphins HC Brian Flores is happy CB Xavien Howard reported to camp, but will not discuss his contract status: “We’re excited to work with [Howard] and all the players that are here. … Those convos w [Howard]’s rep, Chris and myself, like always, those will always be internal, confidential.” (Adam Beasley)
- Flores added he isn’t worried about the team having a competitive disadvantage from vaccination rates. (Beasley)
- Dolphins DT Christian Wilkins said the team isn’t taking anything for granted: “We’re not giving anything. … We’ve got to start over. Guys have to put the work in. Just because we were a borderline playoff team last year and had 10 wins, that doesn’t mean anything.” (Beasley)
- Dolphins OT Jesse Davis is motivated entering training camp: “I want a starting spot.” (Beasley)
- The Dolphins have signed TE Carson Meier. In a corresponding move, the team has waived TE Jibri Blount with an injury settlement. (PFT)
- The Athletic’s Connor Hughes thinks Jets S Marcus Maye is looking for a deal worth $14-15 million annually.
- Hughes added the starting nickel job is fifth-round CB Michael Carter II‘s to lose.
- Hughes mentioned G Greg Van Roten is the favorite to start at right guard, while second-year G Cam Clark could push him.
- On the running back group, Hughes thinks fourth-round RB Michael Carter is the “eventual 1A” on the team.
- Hughes mentioned OT Chuma Edoga and LB Blake Cashman as potential surprise cuts.
- Jets HC Robert Saleh said he trusts GM Joe Douglas to get first-round QB Zach Wilson signed: “This is a business … When (the contract) gets done, it gets done.” (Ralph Vacchiano)
- Saleh also said LT Mekhi Becton has recovered from plantar fasciitis: “He’s in fantastic shape.” (Vacchiano)
- Becton mentioned his foot feels “great” entering camp: “I just have to stay on top of it and do my treatment every day.” (Vacchiano)
- Saleh added the Jets have an “above average” vaccination rate: “I feel good about where we’re at.” (Vacchiano)
- Becton said he wants to take another step this year: “I was good last year. I want to be great this year. I’ve added a few tricks to my repertoire.” (Vacchiano)
- According to Aaron Wilson, the Jets visited with DE Jeremiah Valoaga. Wilson also reports the Jets worked out DE Eddie Yarbrough.
- ESPN’s Mike Reiss reports the Patriots worked out free-agents LB Josh Harvey-Clemons and WR Marlon Williams.
- Patriots HC Bill Belichick wouldn’t say if there was going to be an open QB competition in training camp: “Every one of us has to go out and establish our level of performance in whatever our role or capacity is. It’s a new season. … That includes all of us.” (Mike Reiss)
- Belichick also declined to speak on CB Stephon Gilmore‘s contract dispute or WR N’Keal Harry‘s trade request: “We’re not going to talk about contracts and personal situations.” (Reiss)
- Belichick added he doesn’t know exactly how many Patriots are vaccinated: “I don’t know. Quite a few of them. Most of them, probably.” (Zack Cox)
- Patriots S Devin McCourty isn’t worried about Gilmore’s contract situation: “All that stuff usually gets resolved…it was good seeing my guy again. Like I’ve always said, he’s one of the best corners in the league…he’s really made this defense operate on a different level when he’s out there.” (Michael Giardi)
- WR Matthew Slater spoke highly of undrafted rookie K Quinn Nordin, who will compete with K Nick Folk in camp: “He’s got a cannon on him. There’s no doubt about that. He’s super explosive.” (Cox)
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!