- Chiefs GM Brett Veach on QB Patrick Mahomes: “His abilities are so rare, and to couple that with an incredible personality is outstanding. We’re going to continue to do everything we can to surround him with talent, and this deal provides us more flexibility to do that.” (James Palmer)
- Chiefs HC Andy Reid on Mahomes: “I’ve had the privilege of coaching a lot of incredible athletes and special people in my career, and Patrick is without question on that list of players. The best part is he’s still early in his career.” (Aaron Wilson)
- Chiefs owner Clark Hunt on Mahomes signing: “This is a significant moment for our franchise and for the Chiefs Kingdom. Since he joined the Chiefs just a few years ago, Patrick has developed into one of the most prolific athletes in all of sports.”(Aaron Wilson)
- Mahomes will receive $477 million in guarantee mechanisms, which give him an out if the mechanisms aren’t exercised. The deal also has a no-trade clause. Mahomes becomes the first half-billion-dollar player in history and receives the largest contract in sports history. The deal also marks the first time an NFL player has been the highest-paid player in sports history. (Ian Rapoport)
- Adam Schefter reports that starting in 2022, Mahomes has a $1.25 million incentive for winning the AFC Championship game and a $1.25 million incentive for winning NFL MVP. That means that over 10 years, Mahomes can earn $25 million of incentives which will up the value of his deal from $477 million to $503 million.
- Mahomes receives a $10 million signing bonus and has roster bonuses on a rolling guaranteed basis in future years, including a large $49.4 million bonus due in 2026. The entire deal is conditionally guaranteed, which will leave the Chiefs with a lot of short-term flexibility. (Tom Pelissero)
- Jeremy Fowler reports that the first three years of Mahomes’ deal are fully guaranteed. He adds that $63 million is due at signing and $103.5 million is due by March 2021. In 2023, Mahomes will receive a roster bonus of more than $34 million and that Many of his bonuses become guaranteed two years early, as his 2024/25 bonuses lock-in during the 2022/23 season.
- Mahomes will receive a $50 million roster bonus in 2027, according to Chad Graff.
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!