- Adam Schefter reports that the Broncos are not sending their assistant coaches to the scouting combine in Indianapolis this year because they believe they will make better use of their time by watching film in Denver.
- Broncos HC Vic Fangio will attend this year’s combine in person, but explained to Schefter that he thought the assistant coaches’ time would be better spent studying prospects on tape rather than in person.
Colts GM Chris Ballard stressed the importance of building their offensive and defensive lines.
“I’ll preach this to the day I’m out of this game, you win up front, you win on the O-line, D-line,” Ballard said, via Kevin Bowen of 1075TheFan.
Ballard added that he intends to address their offensive line depth this offseason.
“You need a collection, especially on the O-line, you need 8, at all points,” Ballard says. “It’s going to have to be addressed, especially from a depth (standpoint).”
Ballard also said you can’t “ever have enough defensive lineman” and believes depth is important in terms of developing players.
“Absolutely you can get a Dwight Freeney that is really, really special. But when you don’t get a special one that and lights it up right away, you have to be able to draft guys with traits and then develop him. That was the same with Kemoko Turay. That was a big loss for us when Kemoko went down. Getting him back, getting (Ben) Banogu, getting (Tyquan) Lewis…Lewis has to come on. It’s his time, now. He’s got to get healthy. He’s got to come on and we had a long talk about that. This is a big year. The interior (of the defensive line), we have to be able to get some type of pass rush. That helps your edge rushing when you some interior rush. When you can rush the passer up the middle, the quarterback only has one place to go and that’s stepping out and he’s got to run. That should help your edge.”
- John Reid of the Florida Times-Union writes that the Jaguars should pass on picking up RB Leonard Fournette’s fifth-year option, given their limited cap space.
- Instead, Reid says Jacksonville could evaluate Fournette in 2020 before deciding whether to sign him to ane extension.
- Reid believes the Jaguars should also add to the safety position in free agency or the draft.
- As for Nick Foles, Reid writes that the Jaguars should continue to seek a willing trade partner for the veteran quarterback.
- Reid calls the Jaguars’ left tackle position one of their “most glaring” needs over the past two years and the team could look to address the position in the early rounds of this year’s draft.
- Reid could see the Jaguars moving Myles Jack to weak-side linebacker and pursuing some free-agent ILBs like the Titans’ Wesley Woodyard, Rams’ Cory Littleton or the Browns’ Joe Schobert.
- Reid mentions CB A.J. Bouye as a potential cap casualty, which would free up $11.4 million in cap space.
- As for DE Yannick Ngakoue, Reid believes the Jaguars should make “every attempt” to re-sign him.
- As for the Jaguars’ plans at No. 9 overall in the 2020 NFL Draft, Reid thinks they should select a starting defensive tackle.