Broncos first-round CB Patrick Surtain II was highly regarded by Denver brass leading up to the draft, and he has impressed thus far this offseason.
“We thought highly of him to pick him where we picked him,” Denver HC Vic Fangio said, via BroncosWire.com. “He’s got all the measurables you’re looking for. The thing I like most about him up to this point — I like his demeanor.”
Fangio expanded and notated that Surtain’s demeanor and versatility will help him find success with the team.
“I think he’s got an NFL demeanor, especially the type of demeanor you need to play corner in this league. I think he has some versatility which we’re going to need to take advantage of. Everything has been good so far with Patrick, but we were expecting that.”
- Broncos WR KJ Hamler said he’s increased 11 pounds of muscle over the offseason: “Last year I played at 170, I’m at 181 right now. I feel better, I feel stronger, I feel faster. I’m just trying to improve every day.” (Troy Renck)
“We’re all in a group chat. Tua put it in a group text. He texted us. We’ll just meet up and start throwing and try to get the rhythm down early,” said Parker. “His mechanics look different. Footwork, ball out quicker, all that.”
Parker added that he’s excited to play alongside first-round WR Jaylen Waddle, while the rookie is proving to be easily coachable.
“I was excited,” Parker said. “Brings another guy, another weapon to the team… He listens to what you have to say. You just coach him up and he listens to you.”
- Patriots OC Josh McDaniels said Cam Newton has a “different grasp” of their offense and is “refining the precision” of his system: “He’s worked really hard. He worked hard all of last year… He came back this year at a much different position. He has a different grasp of the offense, a different understanding of the terminology. Now we’re working on refining the precision, the details.” (Phil Perry)
- When evaluating first-round QB Mac Jones, McDaniels said he was looking for presence, command, and coachability: “Presence. Command. Are they in control of the workout? Are they talking to the other players there to participate with them? Are they coachable?” (Michael Giardi)
- McDaniels pointed out that Jones has played in many big-game and high-pressure situations while at Alabama: “Mac has won a lot of games in the last year plus at Alabama. He’s played in some big games, some pressure situations. Takes care of the football, demonstrated an ability to function at a pretty high level in their system.” (Doug Kyed)
- Patriots RBs coach Ivan Fears said fourth-round RB Rhamondre Stevenson reminds him of RB LeGarrette Blount but is likely a better receiver: “He reminds me of LeGarrette Blount. That kind of body, that kind of athletic ability. Probably a better pass receiver than LeGarrette was. The kid’s got pretty good hands.” (Doug Kyed)
- Patriots HC Bill Belichick indicated sixth-round S Joshuah Bledsoe underwent wrist surgery last week. (Michael Giardi)