Browns’ OC Alex Van Pelt commented on QB Baker Mayfield‘s attitude heading in following their loss to the Jets last week.
“He was very sharp. He was laser-focused,” Van Pelt said, via Scott Petrak of BrownsZone.com. “When I walked in, (he was in) a little bit of a surly mood and just a different day so I could tell that he was locked in and ready to go. He ripped every ball he threw and bounced one off of a helmet that was just absolutely fired. We did not have a long practice, but he was perfect. Obviously, expect him to bounce back. Obviously, he is kicking himself for the fumble there at the end. He is a guy that is resilient. He has had his back against the wall multiple times in his career, and he comes out swinging. That is what we expect from him. He has been great in meetings. Now we just have to go with the bumps in the road here and then turn it loose on game day.”
Browns’ ST Mike Priefer is hoping that K Cody Parkey can bounce back after several misses.
“Cody is such an even-keel guy. He handles everything quite well,” Priefer said. “Typically he will not miss two in a row, not even in practice. I think he will bounce back this week. He knows how important he is to the success of this football team. I am not into predictions, but I feel really good about him going out and performing well on Sunday.”
- Browns HC Kevin Stefanski said WR Chad O’Shea (COVID-19) will be unavailable for Week 17 and chief of staff Callie Brownson will fill in for him. (Scott Petrak)
- OUT for Week 17: C Nick Harris (knee)
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 17: LB Tae Davis (ankle), T Kendall Lamm (illness), LB Sione Takitaki (ankle), G Wyatt Teller (ankle)
Ravens HC John Harbaugh has been encouraged by CB Marcus Peters‘ (calf) return to practice and will continue to determine his availability for Week 17 in Saturday’s practice.
“It’s good to see him out there,” Harbaugh said, via Jamison Hensley of ESPN. “We’ll see how it plays out. These things are always how you respond the next day to the work.”
Regarding Ravens CB Jimmy Smith‘s one-year extension, Harbaugh said he’s aware that the cornerback is “happy” in Baltimore.
“I know he’s happy here. We respect his play and we’re excited that it’s going to continue,” said Harbaugh, via Hensley.
- Ravens HC John Harbaugh said P Sam Koch won’t play in Week 17 after being placed on the COVID-19 list but he doesn’t expect the punter to miss any of the playoffs.
- Jeff Zrebiec mentions that this likely means Koch was given a close contact.
- Harbaugh said Ravens P Johnny Townsend will punt and hold field goal attempts for Justin Tucker in Week 17. (Zrebiec)
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 17: DT Calais Campbell (calf, not injury related), RB Gus Edwards (back), T D.J. Fluker (knee), CB Marlon Humphrey (knee, shoulder), RB Mark Ingram (illness), C Patrick Mekari (back), DE Yannick Ngakoue (thigh), CB Marcus Peters (calf), CB Jimmy Smith (ribs, shoulder), WR Willie Snead (ankle)
Steelers QB Mason Rudolph said doesn’t want to make his Week 17 start “too big.”
“To look at this as anything other than opportunity to prove this to your teammates and coaches is silly. I don’t want to make it too big. I want to score points and win a football game,” said Rudolph, via Brooke Pryor.
- Steelers RB James Conner said he hasn’t had any lingering effects from COVID-19 but did experience loss of taste and smell. (Brooke Pryor)
- Conner added that he is feeling healthy after also dealing with a quad injury in recent weeks. (Pryor)
- OUT for Week 17: K Chris Boswell (groin), S Terrell Edmunds (shoulder), QB Ben Roethlisberger (not injury related)