- Per Joel Erickson of the Indianapolis Star, Colts WR T.Y. Hilton said he’s fine going into 2020 on the last year of his contract: “Whenever that happens, it happens. Right now it’s dead to me. I’m ready to rock and roll.”
- After dealing with a calf injury last year, Hilton said he’s healthy and ready to be a problem in 2020: “A healthy 13 is a different 13. Banged up or not, they can’t stop me. Me healthy? They can’t stop me. It’s gonna be fun.” (Zak Keefer)
- Colts G Quenton Nelson (back) was held out of Thursday’s practice. (Mike Garafolo)
“Of course,” Gruden said, via John Oehser of the team’s official site. “I feel good about him. I’m excited to watch him play. I know he’s excited. He won’t show it, though. I haven’t seen him smile but twice the whole time since I’ve been here. He’s a very focused guy.”
Jaguars QB Gardner Minshew mentioned that Robinson has earned the starting role this summer.
“He’s proved that he’s deserved it,” Minshew said. “We keep giving him more and I think everybody on the team is very excited for him and the opportunity he has.”
Gruden also praised Robinson as a pass blocker and receiver and is “very comfortable” with him in their system.
“He’s picked up everything extremely well,” Gruden said. “He’s a great blocker and has great hands. James really has taken it to a level for a rookie free agent. He’s made us all feel very comfortable about him with his ability to do the right thing and when he does have the ball, he makes something happen.”
- Per Jim Wyatt of the team website, Titans HC Mike Vrabel said they didn’t particularly pitch OLB Jadeveon Clowney hard on joining the team: “We’re just looking for guys that want to be here. JD is here and we’re ready to roll.”
- Clowney said the fit with Vrabel, who was his position coach with the Texans, was a big draw for him: “I just was trying to figure out what scheme I wanted to be a part of. I knew when I was with Vrabel I was a part of Pro Bowls with him and I figured I can do that again here.” (Turron Davenport)
- Clowney added: “Mike Vrabel is one of the smartest football coaches I’ve had. He puts me in position to make plays and believes I’m a playmaker.” (Terry McCormick)
- Titans OLB coach Shane Bowen said the team is still trying not to overload Clowney with the entire playbook at once: “We’re trying our best not to overload him. We don’t want to slow him down. We’re trying to find what he’s comfortable with at the start.” (Wyatt)
- However, Bowen doesn’t anticipate it being a steep learning curve: “He learns pretty quick — he’s a smart guy — and he has a good understanding of our defense, which helps.” (Erik Bacharach)