It was a bit of a surprise when the Colts selected S Julian Blackmon in the third round this past April. Safety wasn’t a huge need for Indianapolis and Blackmon was recovering from a major knee injury that figured to slow his transition to the NFL. But the team saw something special and Blackmon has validated that, first with a quick transition to the NFL and then by making splash plays whenever he’s on the field, including a forced fumble in overtime against the Packers Sunday. He’s putting himself in the conversation for defensive rookie of the year.
“He’s a playmaker,” Colts HC Frank Reich said via Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer. “He’s shown that from Day 1. The guy stepped onto the field off a knee injury, and you’re thinking, ‘Oh, we’re going to have to ramp this guy up,’ and he’s making plays from Day 1. The way he handled not only the rehab process, but staying mentally locked in and being able to come in and be an impact player right away, it’s just really a credit to him.”
- According to NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport, Jaguars DL coach Jason Rebovich missed Sunday’s game against the Steelers while in the COVID-19 protocols.
- The Jaguars made QB Gardner Minshew inactive because he was still questionable with his thumb injury. (Ian Rapoport)
- Jaguars HC Doug Marrone said he needs to see Minshew throw before he decides whether he or sixth-round QB Jake Luton will start against the Browns in Week 12. (Mark Long)
- Marrone admitted he considered benching Luton for backup QB Mike Glennon on Sunday after Luton tossed four picks: “I kind of went back and forth a little bit and in truth, just thinking to myself, ‘Do we keep him in there?’ You talk about getting him experience. Is that going to give him experience? Is that good enough for where we are?” (Charean Williams)
- Jaguars G Andrew Norwell is out for Week 12 with an arm injury and is considered week-to-week. (Rapoport)
- Jaguars DE Josh Allen avoided a serious knee injury base on the initial diagnosis, and while he’ll miss some time it’s not expected to be a long-term injury. (Rapoport)
- Marrone noted Allen avoided ligament damage but will still be out for a while this season. (Michael DiRocco)
- Marrone mentioned Jaguars CB D.J. Hayden will be out for a while with a knee injury and the team will make a decision on sending him back to injured reserve and ending his season later this week. (DiRocco)
- Jaguars S Daniel Thomas (arm) will also be going on injured reserve.
- Per TitanInsider.com’s Terry McCormick, Titans HC Mike Vrabel was mum on if OLB Jadeveon Clowney could return from injured reserve this season.