- Adam H. Beasley of Pro Football Network mentions that WR Will Fuller will be ready for Week 2, as he is suspended for Week 1 for violating the NFL’s policy on performance-enhancing drugs.
- Dolphins’ WR Preston Williams set the record straight about his fractured foot from last season, saying that DT Christian Wilkins‘ celebration during the touchdown did not injure him. Instead, it was an awkward landing in which Williams heard a pop: “Christian celebrating, that’s what we do every game. That had nothing to do with it. I hate that people are saying that.” Williams said.
- Beasley says that WR Mack Hollins is making a strong case to crack the 53-man roster.
- The Dolphins traded for LT Greg Little this week, yet the coaching staff is still high on LT Austin Jackson and they believe he will continue to improve prior to Week 1.
- The Dolphins signed LB Josh Harvey-Clemons and worked out linebackers Dylan Cole and Willie Harvey. (Aaron Wilson)
“Anyone who’s not going to get an opportunity to get these reps,” Saleh said, via ProFootballTalk. “Whether it’s Elijah Moore or a veteran. Not that it hurts them, it’s just a missed opportunity to see something else and get a little bit better. Like I said, I just value these practices, and if you’re not able to participate, not that it’s a knock on you, it’s just not great.”
- Jets’ OC Mike LaFleur made interesting comments concerning LT Mekhi Becton: “Mekhi is going through some things right now. He’s not playing at his best.” (Rich Cimini)
- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer lists Patriots OC Josh McDaniels, DC Jerod Mayo, and former Texans HC Bill O’Brien as some candidates who’d be on the shortlist as of today to replace HC Bill Belichick.
- Former NFL executive Michael Lombardi on the Patriots potentially starting rookie QB Mac Jones: “If you’re Bill Belichick, do you put Jones in to start the season? And then if Mac struggles and doesn’t look good, are you going to bench him? And then how will you get him back again? How do you renew his confidence? You’re better off being patient. You’re better off letting the crops in the field grow. You’re better off letting it have a little more time to sink its roots.” (Mike Giardi)
- Zack Cox of NESN.com could see the Patriots targeting a wide receiver such as J.J. Arcega-Whiteside or John Hightower, who are on the Eagles’ roster bubble, once teams start making roster cuts.
- Cox also points out that TE Jonnu Smith has a non-serious low ankle sprain, while TE Hunter Henry has worn pads to practices and has rehabbed with strength coach Moses Cabrera. This means he could be close to a return and may see action in the upcoming preseason game against the Giants.