John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, citing people familiar with what transpired, reports that Texans owner Cal McNair did not like the direction the organization was going under Brian Gaine and his relationship with HC Bill O’Brien had eroded.
McClain says that instead of allowing his concerns about Gaine to extend into next season, McNair decided to fire Gaine on Friday.
According to McClain, sources familiar with the decision said there was no one incident that triggered the decision to fire Gaine and it was one made over a period of time.
In the end, McClain says that McNair determined that Gaine was a better personnel man than a GM and didn’t want to redefine the job to suit him.
- Charles Robinson reports that a “handful” of the Texans’ personnel staff were unaware former GM Brian Gaine would be fired until “moments” before a statement was made.
- Robinson compared Gaine’s situation to Dave Gettleman, who got fired by the Panthers “partially” due to the inability to get extensions done.
- Robinson points out that Gaine made “zero progress” in re-signing Texans DE Jadeveon Clowney and “shopped” him to the Chiefs back in April.
- Albert Breer mentions that Texans’ EVP of team development Jack Easterby has “quickly become an important figure” as a confidant to HC Bill O’Brien.
- Although Breer writes that Easterby “won’t be the GM“, his sense is that Easterby will have “influence” toward the next hire.
- Jim Nagy adds that Patriots’ Director of College Scouting Monti Ossenfort is likely to be the top candidate from the Patriots front office for the Texans’ GM role, based on Breer’s report.
- Jim Wyatt of the Titans’ official site mentions WR Adam Humphries, LB Rashaan Evans, and TE Delanie Walker as three players who have caught his attention during the offseason program.
- Regarding Titans QB Marcus Mariota‘s future with the team, Wyatt believes that Mariota is playing for his job this season and he’ll need to stay healthy while “playing at a high level.”
- Wyatt notes that the Titans could use the 2020 franchise tag on Mariota, but the quarterback must play well to make it a “no-brainer” decision for the front office.
- Wyatt considers Kevin Pamphile is a “top contender” for the starting right guard role, but adds that Nate Davis, Corey Levin, Aaron Stinnie and Jamil Douglas are also in the mix for the job.