Colts GM Chris Ballard said they’re confident that Jacoby Brissett “won’t flinch” as he moves forward as the team’s quarterback.
“I know this about Jacoby,” Ballard said, via ESPN.com. “He will not flinch. He won’t flinch. He didn’t when we brought him in here in ’17. Jacoby won’t flinch.”
Colts HC Frank Reich says his message to Brissett is that he doesn’t have to step in and be a “hero.”
“He handled it just how I thought. I mean, this guy is a pro,” Reich said. “So it was more very conversational. It was more centered around, ‘Be yourself. You don’t have to be a hero.’ I had probably a list of about 12 things, 12 bullet points that I went through. I am not going to rehash everyone. To be honest with you, I know Jacoby knows everything I said. But I still think it was good for us to kind of go point by point through those 12 things — experiences, lessons learned from my perspective over the years to help him in any way that I could. I thought it was a good visit.”
- Colts HC Frank Reich announced Friday that senior offensive assistant Howard Mudd has decided to step down from his position: “He mentioned to me in the last couple weeks that he thought his time was coming. We thank him for his contributions.” (Stephen Holder)
- Ben Volin reports that the Colts signed QB Brian Hoyer to a three-year, $12 million deal that includes a $3 million signing bonus. Hoyer will make $5 million this year and $4 million in 2020. With the Patriots, Hoyer was set to make $2.8 million this year.
- Colts waived DB Shakial Taylor from injured reserve with a settlement.
- Jaguars HC Doug Marrone said LT Cam Robinson was hurt while setting up in pass protection and his right knee “gave out.” (Michael DiRocco)
- According to Marrone, Robinson underwent an MRI but they do not know the results or if this is severe enough to be season-ending.
- Robinson is working his way back from an ACL injury to his left knee.
- Phillip Heilman mentions that the Jaguars should explore trading DE Yannick Ngakoue to the Redskins for holdout LT Trent Williams. Heilman explains that while Ngakoue is a “tremendous, TREMENDOUS player”, the two sides are nowhere close on a long-term contract and Jacksonville is likely going nowhere without a stable offensive line.
The Jaguars also have DT Marcell Dareus (elbow) down as questionable for Week 1.
- Jaguars waived OT Leonard Wester from injured reserve with a settlement. (NFLTR)
- New Texans LT Laremy Tunsil said of the trade: “It was cool. I got to control what I control. I’m here to win games and to provide for this team as much as I can.” (Aaron Wilson)
- Tunsil was asked if he was surprised to be traded by the Dolphins: “I got to control what I control. That’s all I can say about that. It’s funny because my brother made up this quote: ‘Adapt to change and evolve from the past’ That really hit home for me.” (Aaron Wilson)
- As for the possibility of signing an extension with the Texans, Tunsil said: “That would be great, man, but right now my main focus is becoming a better leader and helping this football team.” (Aaron Wilson)
- Texans HC Bill O’Brien said of WR Keke Coutee‘s availability: “Touch and go, practiced yesterday. There’s a possibility. He did some decent things. We’ll have to see how it goes. It’s a long season. It was a pretty significant injury to his ankle.” (Aaron Wilson)
- Regarding first-round OL Tytus Howard, O’Brien said: “Getting better, but dealing with a hand issue. Have to be able to use your hands. Nice blocks in practice, but that’s tough for a rookie to play with that type of injury. It’s something we have to be aware of. We’ll see how he does today.” (Aaron Wilson)
- The Texans signed CB Cornell Armstrong two-year contract worth $1.2 million. (Aaron Wilson)