When he’s on the field, Colts DE Justin Houston doesn’t mince words about what to expect.
“(Fans) can expect a great pass rusher,” Houston said via 1070TheFan’s Kevin Bowen. “I can promise you that I’m going to put pressure on the quarterback.”
Keeping him healthy and on the field was a key factor in the Colts’ pitch to Houston as a free agent.
“He’s a very big, talented, athletic player that can impact and disrupt the quarterback those players are hard to find,” GM Chris Ballard said. “We still think he has a lot of football left in him. That was one of our big sell points to him the system and what we do defensively that we could enhance and continue this career at a high level.”
- According to Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer, the Texans hiring of Jack Easterby from the Patriots as their executive vice president of player development set the wheels in motion for the firing of GM Brian Gaine.
- Breer adds the Texans weren’t unhappy with Gaine’s handling of contracts with DB Tyrann Mathieu, who left for the Chiefs, and LB Jadeveon Clowney, who remains on the franchise tag.
- Breer mentions the Texans love OT Tytus Howard even if they took him earlier than the league consensus, but the lack of trading down was somewhat concerning.
- The opportunity to potentially bring in Patriots executive Nick Caserio to join HC Bill O’Brien and Easterby was one of the major motivators in moving on from Gaine.
- Caserio is actually on the headset during games for the Patriots with OC Josh McDaniels, so potentially going to a situation where he can replicate that is important to him.
Titans RB Derrick Henry‘s focus is on the upcoming season and not the contract discussions looming after the fourth and final year of his rookie deal expires.
“It’s football,” Henry said via Jim Wyatt of the team website. “I fell in love with it before the money. I love football.”