- ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reports Chargers RB Melvin Gordon has considered staying away until midseason to avoid his contract tolling as he pursues an extension.
- Fowler says Gordon wants an average of $13 million a year, however, the Chargers aren’t close to that.
- According to the Athletic’s Daniel Popper, Chargers S Rayshawn Jenkins has taken most of the first-team reps at free safety and is the leader in the position battle there.
- Jenkins has moved around from nickel to dime linebacker to strong safety in his short career so far, weighing in as much as 220 pounds. However, Popper says he’s now down to 200 pounds as he focuses on free safety.
- Jenkins will be pushed by the re-signed Jaylen Watkins, who was a favorite of HC Anthony Lynn before tearing an ACL in the preseason: “Watkins may have been our starting free safety last year if he had stayed healthy.”
- The Chargers also spent a second-round pick on S Nasir Adderley, who they have high expectations for as he transitions to the NFL from playing small-school college football at Delaware.
- Adderley, Watkins and TE Virgil Green all sat out practice Tuesday. Watkins was sore and Green had a strain. (Jeff Miller)
- Chiefs WR Tyreek Hill left practice on a cart following a collision with a leg injury on Tuesday. However, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports Hill just has a bruised quad and is expected to be fine.
- Chiefs RT Mitchell Schwartz is day-to-day with back spasms according to NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport.
- Hill’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, met with the Chiefs as a part of ongoing extension negotiations with the team. (Schefter)
- According to NFL Media’s James Palmer, Raiders HC Jon Gruden says WR Antonio Brown is working his way back from a minor injury: “I’m not going to get into all of it really. He’s day-to-day. It’s Nothing serious. It’s something that’s going to take a couple days. Keep you posted.”
- Gruden added QB Nathan Peterman was “growing on him” as he battles for a spot on the roster: “I know he’s got some nightmare performances in the NFL, but when you watch the film, you can see why: It’s not all his fault.” (Michael Gehlken)
- Gruden mentioned seventh-round DE Quinton Bell‘s injury wasn’t as bad as they thought and he could be back in a week or so. (Scott Bair)
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!