Fangio expects Sanders to be ready for the opener after suffering a torn Achilles late last season. (James Palmer)
- Fangio and Broncos GM John Elway both said the Broncos will pick up the option for DE Derek Wolfe and Sanders, per the Athletic’s Nicki Jhabvala.
- The Broncos plan to let CB Bradley Roby hit free agency with the hopes of re-signing him depending on his market value. (Jhabvala)
- Some executives around the league think C Matt Paradis could re-sign with Denver on a one-year deal after his injury last season. (Ryan O’Halloran)
- Elway confirmed that the injury changed the Broncos’ approach with Paradis, and that his return will depend on health and what salary he wants. (Jhabvala)
- Elways says an extension for CB Chris Harris “has not been thought of yet.” (Jhabvala)
- According to Elway, G Ron Leary will return to Denver for 2019. (Jhabvala)
- The Broncos are also trying to re-sign OL Billy Turner and Jared Veldheer. (O’Halloran)
- Denver would be open to bringing back QB Case Keenum as a backup on a reduced salary. (Jeff Legwold)
- Elway said Keenum’s camp hasn’t requested to seek a trade partner, but they would be granted permission if they wanted to do so. (Nicki Jhabvala)
The Los Angeles Chargers have the third-longest streak of seasons in the league of not drafting a quarterback. General manager Tom Telesco says it’s too soon to say for certain if that streak will end this season.
“Since the day I arrived here, it’s something that we’ve looked at every year,” Telesco said via ESPN’s Eric D. Williams. “It just hasn’t lined up yet. It’s too hard to tell right now [if the team will draft a QB this year].”
The Chargers actively evaluated several top quarterbacks last season, but the team and QB Philip Rivers each believe Rivers has several seasons left in him.
“After what he showed this year, I really think he can play for a couple more years, maybe even more,” HC Anthony Lynn said. “Who knows? I don’t know what these guys take these days. They play forever.”
- Kansas City HC Andy Reid says S Eric Berry will not have surgery this offseason. (Brooke Pryor)
- Reid also says recovery is progressing well for S Armani Watts and OL Laurent Duvernay-Tardif as they rehab from injuries. (B.J. Kissel)
“We’ve got a young quarterback who is a franchise quarterback,” Mayock said via Ralph Vacchiano. “We’re pretty happy at the quarterback position.”
- According to Mayock, getting faster and more athletic will be a priority for the team this offseason. (Scott Bair)
- Mayock said there are “more questions than answers” about the quarterbacks in the draft this year. He added about Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray “He’s fascinating. … I think we’re all trying to figure him out.” (Ralph VVacchiano
- RB Marshawn Lynch has still not decided if he will play for the Raiders in 2019 as he recovers from injury, though the team wants him back. (Vic Tafur)
- It appears the Raiders are also unsure of TE Jared Cook‘s future with the team: “We’d love to have Jared back,” Mayock said, “But as he is, we’re trying to figure out what the market is going to be.” (Michael Gehlken)