The NFL officially approved five rule changes on Tuesday at the owner’s meeting including:
Approved 2019 Playing Rules Summary
- By Competition Committee; Makes permanent the kickoff rule changes that were implemented during the 2018 season.
- By Competition Committee; Expands protection to a defenseless player.
- By Competition Committee; Changes the enforcement of double fouls when there is a change of possession.
- By Competition Committee; Simplifies the application of scrimmage kick rules for missed field goals.
- By Competition Committee; Allows teams to elect to enforce on the succeeding try or on the succeeding free kick an opponent’s personal or unsportsmanlike conduct foul committed during a touchdown.
- Attached – For one year only, expands the reviewable plays in Instant Replay to include pass interference, called or not called on the field. Also expands automatic replay reviews to include scoring plays and turnovers negated by a foul, and any Try attempt (extra point or two-point conversion).
- By Competition Committee; to amend Rule 15, Section 1, Article 5 to allow League personnel to disqualify for both flagrant football and non-football acts.
Approved 2019 Bylaws Summary
- By Buffalo; to amend Article XVII, Section 17.4 to liberalize the rule for reacquisition of a player assigned via waivers.
- By Competition Committee; to amend Article XVII, Section 17.1 to provide clubs with more roster flexibility during training camp.
- By Competition Committee; to amend Article XVIII, Section 18.1 to provide teams more effective access to players during the postseason.
- By Competition Committee; to amend Article XIV, Section 14.3(B)(8) to make the tie-breaking procedures fairer for the selection meeting.
- By Competition Committee; to amend Article XVII, Section 17.1 to provide additional roster spots during the preseason.
- By Competition Committee; to amend Article XVII, Section 12.3 to offer more roster flexibility.
Approved 2019 Resolutions Summary
G-1. By Competition Committee; to amend the Anti-Tampering Policy to permit an interested club to contact a Vested Veteran before clubs have been notified of the player’s termination via the Player Personnel Notice if (i) the players is not subject to the Waivers System and, (ii) the employer club has publicly announced the player’s release.
G-2a. By Competition Committee; for one year only, Clubs will receive the League’s post-game responses to officiating inquiries submitted by any club.