Here’s a running list of reports and rumors regarding the Browns’ head-coaching search. Be sure to check back for the latest updates.
- Saints assistant HC/TEs coach Dan Campbell (Interviewed)
- Browns interim HC Gregg Williams (Interviewed)
- Former Lions & Colts HC Jim Caldwell (Interviewed)
- Vikings interim OC Kevin Stefanski (Interviewed)
- Steelers OL Coach Mike Munchak (Requested)
- Browns OC Freddie Kitchens (Scheduled)
- Patriots DC Brian Flores (Scheduled)
- Colts DC Matt Eberflus (Requested)
- Colts OC Nick Sirianni (Requested)
- Former Packers HC Mike McCarthy (Scheduled)
- According to Steve Doerschuk of the Canton Repository, Patriots OC Josh McDaniels is “enthusiastically interested” in the Browns’ head-coaching vacancy. Doerschuk says that the Browns used back channels to indicate a “mutual preliminary interest,” but they have not invited for an interview. Even so, Doerschuk adds that indications are that McDaniels is a “very serious candidate” for the Browns’ job.
- Adam Beasley hears that Adam Gase to the Browns is a “very real possibility.”
- Bob McMamaman of the Arizona Republic is hearing that former Packers HC Mike McCarthy will be the next head coach of the Browns.
- According to John Kryk of the Toronto Sun, the Cleveland Browns have reached out to Mike McCarthy about their head-coaching vacancy.
Jason La Canfora reports that Browns interim HC Gregg Williams has “seriously enhanced” the odds of keeping the job on a full-time basis with the team’s drastic turnaround. However, the Browns plan to interview other candidates for the job and continue their head-coaching search in the coming weeks. Sources tell La Canfora that the overriding sentiment among the locker room to keep Williams is not lost on Browns ownership or management.
- Ian Rapoport reports that Browns interim HC Gregg Williams isn’t considered to be the front-runner for the team’s head-coaching job or anything close to that. According to Rapoport, Williams will get an interview for the position, but the Browns are expected to cast a wide net and made no mandate to keep their coordinators. Rapoport lists Mike McCarthy, Iowa State HC Matt Campbell, Patriots DC Brian Flores, Patriots OC Josh McDaniels and Colts DC Matt Eberflus as names to watch for the Browns’ job.
- Albert Breer reports that the Browns head-coaching search is “wide open” right now. Breer says it’s possible the Browns could have interest in Dolphins HC Adam Gase if he ends up being available. According to Breer, there are questions about how Josh McDaniels would mesh with GM John Dorsey. Breer mentions that Iowa State HC Matt Campbell would be an interesting hire for the Browns, considering that he’s from Ohio and would allow them to keep Freddie Kitchens in place as offensive coordinator.
- Jay Glazer reports that the Browns are currently doing their due diligence and making an awful lot of back-channel calls about potential candidates, despite their on-the-field success.