Chargers RB Melvin Gordon said he’ll be a game-time decision for Thursday’s game against the Chiefs.
“I’ve been grinding hard to get back and we’re still trying to decide what we’re going to do,” Gordon said, via ESPN.com. “I know Coach [Anthony Lynn] is trying to be careful and doesn’t want me to further hurt myself or things like that. So we’ll see where that goes, but I’m a lot stronger and more confident than I was last week.”
Chargers HC Anthony Lynn said he’s “hopeful” Gordon will be available, but he’s also not committing to anything right now.
“I’m hopeful,” Lynn said. “He’s one of our better players. I’d like for him to play. We’re trying to win every game we can to get into the playoffs, but if he’s not ready, he’s not going to play.”
Chargers HC Anthony Lynn tells Steve Wyche that they are not optimistic that RBs Melvin Gordon (knee) and Austin Ekeler (neck, concussion) will be ready in time for Thursday’s game against the Chiefs.
Gordon, 25, is a former first-round pick out of Wisconsin by the Chargers in the 2015 NFL Draft. He is entering the final year of his four-year $10.669 million rookie contract that is fully guaranteed and is set to earn a base salary of $1,889,967 for the 2018 season.
The Chargers picked up Gordon’s fifth-year option this past May worth $5,605,000 for the 2019 season.
In 2018, Gordon has appeared in nine games for the Chargers and rushed for 802 yards on 153 carries (5.2 YPC) to go along with 44 receptions for 453 yards receiving and 13 total touchdowns.