Taylor is still considered Los Angeles’ starting quarterback when healthy but it’s unclear when that will be. First-round QB Justin Herbert will start in Taylor’s place in the meantime.
In Sunday’s 23-20 overtime loss to the Chiefs, Herbert completed 22-33 passes for 311 yards, one touchdown and one interception while also rushing four times for 18 yards and a touchdown.
The Los Angeles Chargers issued the following statement regarding QB Tyrod Taylor, who has been discharged from the hospital after experiencing chest pains before Sunday’s game.
Tyrod Taylor” width=”300″ height=”200″>
“Prior to kick off, Tyrod Taylor experienced difficulty breathing & was taken to the locker room for evaluation. He was transported to the hospital shortly thereafter to undergo further evaluation.
“Taylor (chest) has since been discharged from the hospital. His status for next Sunday’s game will be determined later in the week.”
- Chargers HC Anthony Lynn told reporters that he found out Taylor was unavailable to play on Sunday just before the coin toss.
- Lynn did make it clear that Taylor would be their starter if he’s healthy: “If he’s 100 percent ready to go, he’s our starter.” (Jim Trotter)
- Chargers rookie QB Justin Herbert said he found out 5-10 seconds before kickoff from Lynn that he’d be starting. (Kalyn Kahler)
Taylor, 31, is a former sixth-round pick of the Ravens back in 2011. After four years in Baltimore, Taylor signed on with the Bills for the 2015 season. Buffalo elected to trade Taylor to the Browns for a third-round pick last year.
Taylor played out the final year of a two-year, $30.5 million contract before agreeing to a two-year contract worth $11 million with the Chargers last year.
In 2020, Taylor has appeared in one game for the Chargers and completed 16 of 30 attempts (53.3 percent) for 208 yards and no touchdowns. He has also rushed for seven yards.