Here’s a running list of reports and rumors regarding the Jets’ head-coaching search. Be sure to check back for the latest updates.
- Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy (Interviewed)
- Former Dolphins HC Adam Gase (Interviewed)
- Former Packers HC Mike McCarthy (Interviewed)
- Cowboys passing game coordinator/DBs coach Kris Richard (Interviewed)
- Buccaneers OC Todd Monken (Requested)
- Former Lions & Colts HC Jim Caldwell (Expected)
- Iowa State coach Matt Campbell (Declined)
- USC OC Kliff Kingsbury (Interested)
- Baylor HC Matt Rhule (Interested)
- Ralph Vacchiano of SNY reports that former Packers HC Mike McCarthy has “warmed” up to the idea of coaching the Jets and now has “serious interest” in the job. Vacchiano adds that people close to McCarthy have said “for weeks” that his decision would come down to the Cardinals’ or Browns’ job, or decide to sit out 2019 entirely. While McCarthy’s “thinking has changed,” Vacchiano says there is no guarantee he will sign with the Jets if offered.
- Albert Breer believed Adam Gase, Mike McCarthy and Kliff Kingsbury have a “pretty legit shot” of being hired by the Jets as their next head coach.
- Manish Mehta mentions that Baylor HC Matt Rhule is someone worth keeping an eye on for the Jets’ head-coaching job.
- Regarding the news that the Jets will interview Mike McCarthy for their head coach job, an NFL GM tells Manish Mehta: “It would be interesting to see the dynamic between Mike McCarthy and Mike Maccagnan. That doesn’t seem like a match made in heaven to me.”
- Manish Mehta hears that Jim Harbaugh being hired by the Jets is “not happening” despite the prior reports.
- Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Iowa State coach Matt Campbell received a request from the Jets to interview for their head-coaching job, but he declined to do so.
- Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Mike McCarthy and Jim Caldwell figure to be among the candidates to watch for the Jets job.
- Albert Breer mentions that the Jets are worth watching as a landing spot for Mike McCarthy, as they’ve already done their research on him. Breer adds that McCarthy and Jim Caldwell are two coaches with backgrounds coaching the quarterback position who have prior experience, which could be something the Jets value more this time around
- The New York Jets released a statement there’s “no truth to the report of our interest in Jim Harbaugh.”
- Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, citing a league source, reported that the Jets are the mystery team planning to make a run at hiring Michigan HC Jim Harbaugh.