Home Cowboys NFC East Notes: Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Redskins
- Joel Corry of CBS Sports expects the Cowboys to use the franchise tag on QB Dak Prescott this offseason with either exclusive or non-exclusive designations.
- Corry points out that the projects the non-exclusive franchise tag to cost $27.067 million, while the exclusive tag will cost $32.509 million.
- Per NJ.com’s Mike Kaye, Eagles DC Jim Schwartz said that while they weren’t able to find a role for DE Genard Avery as much as they had hoped to on defense when they traded a 2021 fourth-round pick to the Browns for him, they still value him going forward: “He’s not as big or as tall as some of our other defensive ends, but he does have some value.”
- Eagles HC Doug Pederson says TE Zach Ertz has still not been cleared for contact. (Zack Rosenblatt)
- Ertz and Eagles OT Lane Johnson both participated in Philadelphia’s walkthrough practice Wednesday. (Jimmy Kempski)
- According to NFL Media’s Peter Schrager, the Giants will interview Ravens DC Don Martindale on Saturday.
- The Giants will interview former Packers HC Mike McCarthy likely on Friday. (Ian Rapoport)
- According to the Athletic’s Rhiannon Walker, Redskins LT Trent Williams is considering a return to the team following the dismissal of GM Bruce Allen after previously saying he’d “never be a Redskin again.”
- NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport reports Redskins HC Ron Rivera will interview 2019 OC Kevin O’Connell to potentially continue in the position in 2020.
- He adds new Redskins DC Jack Del Rio will have play-calling responsibility. Rivera took over defensive play-calling late in 2018 and continued through his final year in Carolina.
- Del Rio plans to switch Washington from a 3-4 to a 4-3 base defense. (Les Carpenter)
- Redskins interim HC and former OL coach Bill Callahan won’t return in 2020. (John Keim)
- Most of Washington’s defensive coaching staff won’t return either, with a few offensive assistants interviewing to potentially stay on. (JP Finlay)